Adult placement

Salford's adult placement scheme (sometimes called Shared Lives) aims to provide an individual with the opportunity to be part of the family and community of an adult placement carer who in return will provide friendship, support and care. In some cases support from an adult placement carer enables an individual to maintain their involvement in their own community.

Adult placement is part of Aspire, the new social enterprise running care services for Salford City Council.

How does the scheme work?

We will work with you and your social worker to find out what support you need, what things are important to you and what sort of things you enjoy doing. We will then introduce you to an approved carer and their family, so that you can decide if you want to stay with them or be supported by them.

What types of placement are there?

There are different types of placement: long-term, short-term (which can be for an afternoon, evening, overnight or up to four weeks), regular short-term breaks, and one-off breaks.

What will happen when the placement starts?

Each placement is different as it will be tailored to your individual needs:

  • You will have your own bedroom in the carer's home, if you are staying overnight.
  • You will be able to take some of your personal things including spending money.
  • You will be able to choose the extent of your involvement in the family's life, however your privacy and independence will be respected.
  • You can still have contact with friends and family while you are staying with the carer.
  • If your support is during the day you will usually be supported by the same carer.
  • You will be supported to take part in activities in the community (eg attending a class or doing your own shopping).

Will I have to pay for the support from an adult placement carer?

Your social worker may be able to tell you how much you will have to pay.

If you are interested in adult placement, let your social worker know. We will come and talk to you about the scheme and answer any questions you may have.

If we agree that adult placement will work for you, then we will start looking for a carer for you to be supported by.

Who to contact

Adult Placement Team

St Georges Day Services
Cromwell Road

M6 6SB
Map to this location
0161 793 2159

This page was last updated on 29 May 2015

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.