Applying for works to trees subject to a Tree Preservation Order - Conservation area

Many trees in Salford are protected by a preservation order. These are trees of a high amenity value or which have a significant impact on the environment and have been identified by the council and protected by an order.

The quickest and easiest way to apply for works to protected trees/trees in a conservation area can be submitted on line via the planning portal.

Where a tree preservation order (TPO) is made under Section 198 of the Town and County Planning Act 1990, the tree or group of trees are identified on a location plan. Copies of the order are served on the owners of land upon which the trees are growing, and on the owner occupiers of affected and joining properties.

The city's tree preservation orders/conservation areas are plotted on the our interactive maps. On the mapping layer you should ensure that the TPO and Conservation Area layers are ticked under planning.

For high hedge complaints, please refer to the useful information on the control of high hedges.

You can read the government's guide to tree preservation procedures.

Once an order has been made, the consent of the council is required before a tree may be pruned or felled. In certain circumstances, it may be agreed that pruning or removal may be permitted in order to accommodate development, but the TPO enables the council to control these actions and to obtain new planting to replace trees which are removed.

An application for tree works can be submitted via the Planning Portal.

If a tree is cut down, uprooted or wilfully destroyed or is deliberately damaged, or pruned in a manner likely to destroy it, in contravention of a TPO, the responsible person may be prosecuted and liable to pay a substantial fine.

You can find out more about the council's policies about trees and tree planting and protection.

For further general advice, the following websites may also be of interest:

Trees in conservation areas

Trees in conservation areas are also subject to special provisions introduced in 1974. Anyone wishing to fell, prune or uproot trees in a conservation area, unless they form a hazard to public safety or are already covered by a tree preservation order, must give the council six weeks' notice. Work must not be carried out within that period without consent, otherwise penalties may be incurred. The regulations made under this act give certain exemptions from this requirement, and applicants are advised to contact the development control section if they are in any doubts about the procedures.

You can find out more about conservation areas in Salford.

This page was last updated on 17 September 2015

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.