Health and safety in the workplace
Salford's Environmental Health team promotes health and safety in the workplace including welfare of employees and the safeguarding of others, principally the public, who may be exposed to risks from work activities within your business. We are responsible for enforcement at 4,000 business premises in the Salford area.
The primary responsibility for ensuring health and safety in the workplace lies with those who create the risk, and in particular employers need to make suitable and sufficient arrangements for managing health and safety. Currently health and safety enforcement in the United Kingdom is split between local authorities and the Health and Safety Executive.
Officers within the Environmental Health team are responsible for enforcing the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 in approximately 4,000 commercial premises for which the council has enforcement responsibilities. These premises include warehouses, offices, shops, consumer services and residential care homes. The officers undertake enforcement action in accordance with the directorate's Enforcement and Prosecution Policy and the HSE's Enforcement Management Model (EMM). Please contact us in writing to the address below if you wish to comment on any aspect of the Directorate's enforcement policy.
The directorate also welcomes the review of Health and Safety undertaken by Lord Young "common sense - common safety".
The range of activities undertaken by the officers are detailed in our Health and Safety Service Plan and include:
- Investigate accidents and seek to prevent recurrences
- Inspect high risk premises on a routine basis for compliance with health and safety legislation. These are carried out on in accordance with the HSE's national priorities. The frequency of our visits is determined by factors such as the type and size of premises, the work activity and the health and safety history of the premises
- Investigate and resolve complaints relating to workplace conditions
- Promote health and safety awareness to employers and employees by providing information, advice and participating in national campaigns
- Register and licence skin piercing and tattooist establishments
- Provide advice to business including sending out a wide range of free explanatory leaflets
- Provide advice to workers. Employees who are experiencing health and safety problems at work or who have any concerns or queries may need to discuss their situation with someone outside their workplace. We can provide advice and/or deal with the query as a complaint
During routine inspections officers will concentrate on key strategic areas such as:
The service has also been subject to a rigorous inter-authority audit as required by the Health and Safety Executive. This audit was to ensure the council meets minimum service standards although we are always looking to improve. For further information we welcome your suggestions, comments or compliments whether made in person, using a feedback form.
- Enforcement and prosecution policy (Microsoft Word format, 83kb)
- Health and safety service plan 2014 to 2015 (Adobe PDF format, 507kb)
- Section 18 inter authority audit (Adobe PDF format, 61kb)
- Health and safety newsletter 2010 (Adobe PDF format, 2.8mb)
- Food and safety newsletter 2011 (Adobe PDF format, 1.5mb)
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
Who to contact
- Environmental Health
- Innovation House
Map to this location
- 0161 925 1097
- 0161 920 8484
This page was last updated on 22 October 2014