Selective licensing in Broughton
Salford City Council is considering designating a selective licensing scheme in part of the Broughton area for a five-year period. Consultation on the proposals ran from 17 June to 26 August 2015 and the results are now available below.
Selective licensing requires certain landlords who privately rent properties in the proposed area to obtain a licence from the council. If granted, a licence will be issued with a number of conditions which the landlord must comply with. It is a criminal offence to operate a privately rented property without a licence. A landlord will also commit a criminal offence if they fail to comply with any of the conditions of a licence. The proposed licence conditions can be found below.
Prior to designating an area for selective licensing, the council is required by law to consult with people, businesses and organisations that are likely to be affected by the proposals and also consider any views fully before making a decision. The council has produced a consultation document which sets out a detailed explanation of the proposals and explains selective licensing in more detail. If you wish to view the consultation document, you can find it below along with a map, street list of the proposed area and proposed licence conditions.
We ran a ten week consultation exercise which ended on 26 August 2015. We have received responses from landlords, managing agents and residents, as well as responses from the National Landlord Association, Residential Landlord Association and North West Landlord Association.
The following documents can be downloaded from this page:
- Results of the consultation
- Common questions asked during the consultation
- Response from the National Landlord Association
- Response from the Residential Landlord Association
- Salford City Council's response to the National Landlord Association
- Salford City Council's response to the Residential Landlord Association
A full report will be submitted to the Assistant Mayor for Housing and Environment on 13 October for consideration of the proposal for the area to be designated as a selective licensing area. Should this be approved, the scheme will be publicised in advance of the commencement date.
If you have any questions regarding these proposals and you can't find the answer on our frequently asked questions page, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Consultation document (Adobe PDF format, 1.1mb)
- Map of proposed area (Adobe PDF format, 1.4mb)
- Street list of proposed area(Adobe PDF format, 16kb)
- Proposed licence conditions (Adobe PDF format, 116kb)
- Questionnaire (Adobe PDF format, 129kb)
- Equality monitoring form (Adobe PDF format, 96kb)
- Results of the consultation (Adobe PDF format, 9.8mb)
- Common questions asked during the consultation (Adobe PDF format, 57kb)
- Response from the National Landlord Association (Adobe PDF format, 332kb)
- Salford City Council's response to the National Landlord Association(Adobe PDF format, 363kb)
- Response from the Residential Landlord Association (Adobe PDF format, 179kb)
- Salford City Council's response to Residential Landlord Association (Adobe PDF format, 130kb)
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
Who to contact
- Landlord Licensing Team
- Salford City Council
Map to this location
- 0161 793 3344
This page was last updated on 6 October 2015