Applying for British citizenship
Nationality checking service
Salford Register Office is now offering a checking service for British citizenship application forms. Our nationality checking service reduces the risk of mistakes in the process which means a faster, more efficient service.
Fully trained and registered officers can:
- issue application forms straight away
- check that your form is filled in correctly and that you provide the right documents
- check and make certified copies of your documents so that you can keep the originals
- send your application to the Home Office by secure post
Once your application has been approved by the Home Office, Salford Register Office will organise your citizenship ceremony. This can be held at the Town Hall (Salford Civic Centre) or one of Salford's approved venues.
What are the benefits of British citizenship?
Becoming a British citizen has many benefits, including:
- the right to live permanently in the UK
- the right to vote in UK national elections and elections to the European Parliament
- eligibility for a UK passport
- the advantages of being European Union (EU) citizens (eg ease of travel and gaining employment in other EU countries)
- eligibility to a range of state support both in the UK and abroad
How can I get an application form?
A copy of the application form and a guide to completing it can be obtained direct from the Home Office website or you may download the application form and guidance notes below.
How do I arrange for my form to be checked?
You need to make an appointment with the register office. Please note a non-refundable deposit is required at the time of making the appointment.
Telephone: 0161 603 6883
Or visit us in person to make an appointment at:
Salford Register Office
Salford Civic Centre
Visitor car parking is available.
Is there a charge for the service?
Salford Register Office will charge an administration cost for offering an effective service:
- £55 for an adult single application
- £70 for a husband and wife living at the same address
- £80 for a husband and wife and up to two children
- £70 for one parent and up to two children
- £80 for one parent and up to three children
- £30 for any additional children on parents application (eg husband and wife and four children - £70 plus £40 = £110)
- £30 for one or more children under the age of 18 who apply separately to their parents
All fees include VAT and may be paid by postal order or cheque (made out to Salford City Council), or by credit card or cash.
Please note that these fees are in addition to the normal fee payable to the Home Office for processing an application for nationality. Home Office fees may be paid by postal order or cheque (made out to the Home Office) or by credit card.
- British Citizenship Guidance Notes (Adobe PDF format, 652kb)
- British Citizenship Application Form AN (Adobe PDF format, 108kb)
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
This page was last updated on 12 December 2012