Applying for British citizenship
Nationality checking service
Salford register office is now offering a checking service for British citizenship application forms. Our nationality checking service reduces the risk of mistakes in the process which means a faster, more efficient service.
Fully trained and registered officers can:
- check that your form is filled in correctly and that you provide the right documents
- check and make certified copies of your documents so that you can keep the originals
- send your application to the Home Office by secure post
Once your application has been approved by the Home Office, Salford register office will organise your citizenship ceremony. This can be held at the Salford Civic Centre or one of Salford's approved venues.
What are the benefits of British citizenship?
Becoming a British citizen has many benefits, including:
- the right to live permanently in the UK
- the right to vote in UK national elections and elections to the European Parliament
- eligibility for a UK passport
- the advantages of being European Union (EU) citizens (eg ease of travel and gaining employment in other EU countries)
- eligibility to a range of state support both in the UK and abroad
How can I get an application form?
A copy of the application form and a guide to completing it can be obtained direct from the Home Office website or you may view the government information about becoming a British citizen.
How do I arrange for my form to be checked?
You need to make an appointment with the register office. Please note a fee is payable for this service at the time of booking. This fee is non-refundable so you must ensure you are eligible to apply.
Telephone: 0161 603 6883
Or visit us in person to make an appointment at:
Salford Register Office
Salford Civic Centre
Visitor car parking is available.
Is there a charge for the service?
Salford register office will charge an administration cost for offering an effective service:
- £55 per adult application
- £30 per child application
All fees include VAT and may be paid by postal order, made out to 'Salford City Council', or by credit card or cash.
Please note that these fees are in addition to the normal fee payable to the Home Office for processing an application for nationality. Home Office fees may be paid by postal order or cheque, made out to 'Home Office', or by credit card.
This page was last updated on 30 November 2015