Council tax

Council tax bill

Council tax is set by local councils to help pay for local services like policing and refuse collection. It applies to all domestic properties, including houses, bungalows, flats, maisonettes, mobile homes or houseboats, whether owned or rented.

The council sets the annual charge for council tax for each band, based on criteria set by the government and then issues each household with an annual bill.

These pages provide you with information about paying your council tax, plus details of discounts, benefits and some exemptions that may be available. You can also check your council tax balance.

Please see our council tax forms page if you need to contact us online, complete a Direct Debit instruction, or apply for a discount or exemption.

Salford customer account

With a Salford customer account, you are able to view your council tax account summary, payments made, planned instalments and special arrangements. You can also make a payment with your debit or credit card. Please note, if you make a payment for your council tax by credit card, you will be charged an extra 1.4% of the transaction. This charge is to cover the costs of using a credit card.

Council tax for 2015 to 2016

You can find out what your council tax bill is for the year commencing 1 April 2015 on our council tax bands page.

Customers who have difficulty in paying their council tax should contact the council as soon as possible. Visit our council tax recovery pages for more information.

Independent money advice is available from a number of organisations including the Money Advice Service. Customers can also contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or the council's welfare rights and debt advice service for advice.

Who is responsible for paying the bill?

There's one council tax bill for each home. Usually, it's the owner-occupier or the tenant living in the property who has to pay the bill, although there are certain cases where the owner is always liable, such as a house in multiple occupation (HMO) or a care home. Also if the property is empty, the owner is liable.

Couples living together are each liable for the charge even if there is only one name on the bill. This applies whether the couple is married, cohabiting or in a civil partnership.

Technically, the person who has to pay the council tax is called the 'liable person'. The person at the top or nearest to the top of the following list is the liable person, though there are exceptions to this rule such as those referred to above:

  • Lives in the property and owns it
  • Lives in the property and has a lease (this includes 'assured tenants' under the Housing Act 1988)
  • Lives in the property and is a 'statutory' or 'secure' tenant
  • Lives in the property and isn't a tenant but has permission to live there
  • Lives in the property (for example a squatter)
  • Owns the property but doesn't live there

Please note: you can't be a 'liable person' if you're under age 18.

If you're still unsure about who is responsible for paying the bill contact us for further advice.

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Who to contact

Council tax forms and contact us form

Customer Services
Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AW
Map to this location
0161 909 6502

This page was last updated on 28 January 2016

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.