Registering a death

Where do I register a death?

A death must be registered in the district that it occurred.

The death must be registered within five days (unless the coroner is investigating the circumstances leading to the death or the registrar says this period may be exceeded).

For deaths in Salford, you must register the death at Salford register office which is located at Salford Civic Centre.

If you are unable to attend at the correct district, you can make a declaration to any other register office in England and Wales. Further information, including a list of register offices, is available on the General Register Office website.

Make an appointment

For your convenience we operate an appointments system. Please telephone 0161 909 6501 for an appointment.

What happens at the register office

When you go to see the registrar you should take all of these:

  • The medical certificate which states the cause of death
  • The deceased's medical card (if possible)
  • The deceased's birth and marriage certificates (if possible)

You should tell the registrar

  • The date and place of death
  • The deceased's full name and last name (and maiden name where appropriate)
  • The deceased's last (usual) address
  • The deceased's date and place of birth
  • The deceased's occupation and the name and occupation of their spouse
  • If the deceased was married, the date of birth of the surviving widow or widower
  • Whether the deceased received a pension or allowance from public funds

Documents you need to produce

  • You should bring identification documents for the deceased. This may be a passport or full birth certificate.
  • If the deceased was married you should also produce the marriage certificate.
  • Proof of address should be shown which can include a driving licence, a recent utility bill or council tax bill.
  • If you have the NHS medical card for the deceased, you should also show this to the Registrar.
  • If you attend to register the death you need to bring your own identification such as a passport or full birth certificate.
  • You also need to bring proof of address for yourself such as a driving licence, council tax bill or recent utility bill.

The registrar who registers the death will give you

  • A 'Certificate for Burial or Cremation' (sometimes referred to as the 'green form'), unless the coroner has already issued these documents. These give permission for the body to be buried or cremated. It should be given to your funeral director without delay as without it the funeral (or cremation) cannot take place.
  • A Certificate of Registration of Death (form BD8). This is a Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) form and must must be completed and taken (or posted) to an appropriate DWP office.
  • If you require certified copies of the death certificate, these may be purchased from the registrar £4 each at the time of registration.
  • Post registration, copy certificates can be applied for online or by post. The cost is £8 each which includes an administration fee of £1).

If you go to a register office other than district where the death took place, the above certificates will be sent to you.

Who to contact

Salford Register Office
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AW
Map to this location
0161 909 6501

This page was last updated on 3 September 2014

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.