The full council tax bill is worked out on the assumption that there are two adults over 18 years of age in a dwelling.
Single person discount
If only one adult lives in a dwelling as his or her main residence, we will give a 25% discount.
If a residential dwelling is furnished, but not used as anyone's only or main home, we will give a 10% discount. This includes second homes, holiday homes and properties left empty between tenancies. From 1 April 2013, the 10% discount will no longer apply and the full council tax charge will become payable. If the second home is needed under a contract of employment, we may give a discount of 50%.
Unoccupied and substantially unfurnished dwellings discount from 1 April 2013
If a residential dwelling is unoccupied and substantially unfurnished a 50% discount may be granted for up to two calendar months from the date last occupied, after this period the full charge will then become payable.
Unoccupied dwellings requiring or undergoing major repair or structural alterations discount from 1 April 2013
If a residential dwelling is unoccupied and requires or is undergoing major repair or structural alterations a discount of 10% for up to 12 calendar months may apply, after this period the full charge will then become payable.
Certain people are not counted when looking at the number of adult residents in a property if they meet certain conditions. For example, people who are:
- Full-time students attending a college or university, student nurses, foreign language assistants and foreign spouses or dependants of students
- Apprentices, youth training trainees, people aged 18 if child benefit is payable and recent school and college leavers under 20
- People in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine)
- People who are severely mentally impaired
- Careworkers providing care on behalf of an official or charitable body; introduced by a charitable body
- People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
- People in residential care homes, nursing homes and hostels providing a high level of care (application to be made by establishment)
- Diplomats and members of international organisations headquartered in the UK and their non-British spouses
- Members of religious communities (eg monks and nuns)
Conditions apply to each category noted above. Please download the appropriate online application form for further information.
Please note the council may ask for further information if required in order to make a decision on the award of any discounts.
This page was last updated on 24 January 2013