The full council tax bill is worked out on the assumption that there are two adults over 18 years of age in a dwelling.

Single person discount

If only one adult lives in a dwelling as his or her main residence, we will give a 25% discount. From time to time we may ask you to let us know if your single person discount should be cancelled. You only need to contact us if it should be cancelled and the date it should be cancelled from.

Apply for a single person discount

Second homes

If a residential dwelling is furnished, but not used as anyone's only or main home, we will give a 10% discount. This includes second homes, holiday homes and properties left empty between tenancies. From 1 April 2013, the 10% discount will no longer apply and the full council tax charge will become payable. If the second home is needed under a contract of employment, we may give a discount of 50%.

Unoccupied and substantially unfurnished dwellings discount from 1 April 2013

If a residential dwelling is unoccupied and substantially unfurnished a 50% discount may be granted for up to two calendar months from the date last occupied, after this period the full charge will then become payable.

Apply for an unoccupied and unfurnished discount

Unoccupied dwellings requiring or undergoing major repair or structural alterations discount from 1 April 2013

If a residential dwelling is unoccupied and requires or is undergoing major repair or structural alterations a discount of 10% for up to 12 calendar months may apply, after this period the full charge will then become payable.

Apply for a structural or major repairs discount

Family annexes

Council tax discount of 50% may be granted if you currently have an annexe which is lived in by a family member. In order to qualify for the discount, the annexe must be either used by the resident(s) of the main property or occupied by a family member. If a non-family member occupies the annexe the discount will not apply. Some annexes are already exempt from council tax and these will not be affected by the new discount and will continue to be exempt. If you think you may qualify please contact us.

Flood support schemes

The government have announced a flood support scheme to assist council tax payers to recover from the adverse weather since 1 December 2013. Details of the scheme can be downloaded below, if you think you may qualify for a council tax discount because you meet the criteria please contact us.

Other discounts

Certain people are not counted when looking at the number of adult residents in a property if they meet certain conditions. For example, people who are:

Full-time students attending a college or university, student nurses, foreign language assistants and foreign spouses or dependants of students.

Apply for a student discount

Apprentices and trainees
Apprentices, youth training trainees, people aged 18 if child benefit is payable and recent school and college leavers under 20.

Apply for an apprentice or youth training trainee discount

People in prison
With the exception of those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine.

Apply for a person in detention discount

People who are severely mentally impaired

Apply for an SMI discount

Care workers
Care workers providing care on behalf of an official or charitable body; introduced by a charitable body.

Apply for a carers or unpaid carers discount

People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18.

People in residential care homes, nursing homes and hostels providing a high level of care (application to be made by establishment).

Apply for a care home or in hospital exemption

Diplomats and members of international organisations headquartered in the UK and their non-British spouses

Members of religious communities 
For example  monks and nuns.

Conditions apply to each category noted above.

Please note the council may ask for further information if required in order to make a decision on the award of any discounts.

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

This page was last updated on 30 November 2015

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.