Draft hot food takeaways supplementary planning document
The hot food takeaways supplementary planning document (SPD) was adopted by the city council in July 2007.
The council is currently consulting on a revised draft of the existing hot food takeaways SPD. This is intended to update and replace the current document.
The council considers it necessary to update the hot food takeaways SPD in order to reflect the national planning policy framework and changes to legislation and guidance that have occurred since the document was first adopted. Recent planning appeal decisions in Salford have also informed the need for revisions.
The key proposed changes to the supplementary planning document are:
- Inclusion of a new policy which places restrictions on the operation of hot food takeaways around schools to support and encourage children to make healthier eating options.
- Inclusion of a new policy to ensure hot food takeaways do not worsen any existing problems of crime and disorder.
- Deletion of current policy HFTA1 (hot food takeaways and residential properties). This follows recent appeal decisions in Salford, where independent inspectors have concluded extraction equipment can adequately mitigate against harm arising from odours even where there is an adjoining residential property.
- In light of removal of policy HFTA1, the existing policy approach to odours has been altered. This is to mainly mitigate against unacceptable noise levels where a residential property exists directly about or adjacent to a proposed hot food takeaway.
- Deletion of current policy HFTA8 (healthy eating options). Since the current policy only ‘encourages' hot food takeaways to introduce healthier options, and is not a requirement, there is no clear indication of how a decision maker or applicant for planning permission should react. On this basis, it is considered more appropriate to include a section on healthy eating in the SPD but not as part of a policy.
The consultation will run from 10 May 2013 to 5 July 2013, with all comments to be received by the city council no later than 4.30pm on 5 July 2013. The council will have regard to all comments submitted during the consultation period in informing the preparation of the final version of the SPD which it intends to adopt.
How to comment
- By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By post to: SPD Consultation, Spatial Planning, Salford City Council, Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, M27 5BY
- By hand to: Salford Civic Centre (main reception), Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5BY
- Draft Hot food takeaways supplementary planning document (Adobe PDF format, 1.8mb)
- Consultation letter (Adobe PDF format, 127kb)
- Draft Hot food takeaways consultation statement (Adobe PDF format, 381kb)
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
Who to contact
- Spatial Planning
- Salford City Council
Map to this location
- 0161 793 3782
This page was last updated on 20 November 2013