Help with drug or alcohol misuse

Realising you have a problem is the first step to getting better, but it is often the hardest one to take.

Getting help

A good place to start is to visit your GP. Your GP can discuss your concerns with you, assess the nature of your problems and help you choose the most appropriate treatment. Your GP might offer to treat you or might refer you to your local specialist drug and alcohol service.

Many drug treatment services accept self-referrals so, if you are not comfortable talking to your GP, you might be able to approach your local drug treatment service directly.

If your body has become dependent on alcohol, stopping drinking overnight can be life-threatening, so get advice about cutting down gradually.

Ask about free local support groups, day-centre counselling and one-to-one counselling.  

How to make a referral for treatment

Salford Drug and Alcohol Service

This service offers specialist drug and alcohol advice, support and treatment to adults aged over 18 who are experiencing problems with their drug and alcohol use. The service is free and confidential and available to any adult Salford resident or adults registered with a Salford GP.

Salford Drug and Alcohol Service accepts referrals by any route including self referrals or by any other party (eg GP, other agency, parent or concerned other as long as potential service user is willing to enter the service).

  • In Eccles, Weaste, Irlam, Cadishead, Patricroft, Seedley and Langworthy, telephone 0161 787 7343
  • In Little Hulton, Walkden, Worsley, Boothstown, Swinton and Pendlebury, telephone 0161 703 8873
  • In Broughton, Ordsall, Trinity, Salford Precinct, Pendleton, Kersal and Charlestown, telephone 0161 745 7227
  • For alcohol services citywide, telephone 0161 745 7227

Community Recovery Services (formally known as The Mona Street Project)

This is a Salford City Council community based recovery support service for people with long term, complex drug and alcohol problems. The service provides a range of centre based wellbeing support and sessions, group based peer support and community development and outreach activity. The service provides:

  • Informal ‘drop in' for registered members
  • A range of structured, centre based wellbeing activities
  • Community development activities
  • Outreach visits to people who have dropped out of drug and alcohol treatment services

Contact Community Recovery Services on 0161 793 2477.

Help for young people

Lifeline SMART offers a specialist drug and alcohol advice, support and treatment to young people aged 24 and under who are experiencing problems with their drug and alcohol use. The service is free and confidential.

Referrals can be made by young people themselves, parents/carers and concerned others as well as professionals. Consent from the young person is required if they are being referred. As much information as possible is taken at the this stage particularly from other professionals.

Office hours for referrals are 9.00am to 5.00pm between Monday and Friday and we aim to make contact with young people within five working days.

The service is confidential although there are occasions when we do need to share information, such as when we are concerned that a young person may be at risk. When we work with young people we encourage parental/carer involvement. If we need to share information, we will always try to talk to the young person first, where appropriate.

We have experienced and dedicated workers who offer:

  • substance misuse assessment and care planning
  • specialist one-to-one psychosocial treatment
  • access to substitute prescriptions
  • harm reduction advice
  • targeted, group drug and alcohol education
  • telephone advice and information for children for children and young people, parents and carers and professionals
  • a client-centred, non-judgemental approach
  • advocacy


Lifeline SMART
Salford Opportunities Centre
2 Paddington Close
M6 5PL

Telephone: 0161 743 0167

Help for families

InFocus is a service that works with parents with drug and/or alcohol problems and their children. They offer individual and group support for both adults and children.


Lifeline InFocus
120 Great Clowes Street
Lower Broughton
M7 6RN

Telephone: 0161 793 3412

Salford Drug and Alcohol Action Team (DAAT)

Salford Drug and Alcohol Action Team is responsible for the local drug and alcohol treatment strategy. We don't provide services ourselves but we do commission services for people of all ages from a range of providers. Most of these services are available to anyone who is a resident in Salford or registered with a Salford based GP.

Salford DAAT also works with a range of agencies to provide drug and alcohol related community support to reduce the impact of drugs and alcohol on the community. The team can be contacted below.

Who to contact

Salford Drug and Alcohol Action Team
Second Floor
Unity House
Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AW
Map to this location
0161 603 4171

This page was last updated on 9 June 2014

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW   Telephone 0161 794 4711
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2015.