Register of electors

Make your mark

Salford's register of electors (otherwise known as the electoral roll) is a record of everyone who lives within the city and is eligible to vote. You can only vote if your name is on the register of electors. Although you do not have to vote on election day (it is your choice), you are required by law to register.

The way we all register to vote has changed

The registration system changed in June 2014. The new system is called Individual Electoral Registration.

How is the new system different

  • Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the 'head of every household' could register everyone who lived at their address
  • You need to provide a few more details to register, including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure

How do I register under the new system?

  • Visit the GOV.UK registration page
  • Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You'll also need your National Insurance number, which can be found on your National Insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits
  • Look out for a confirmation to say you're registered

Will I need to do anything?

  • Look out for a letter in July 2014. Most people who are already registered to vote will be registered automatically under the new system. They do not need to do anything. However, some people will need to take action to join the new register. We are writing to people to tell them whether they need to take action
  • Respond to the letter if you are asked to. The letter will tell you whether you are on the new register or whether you need to take action. It will tell you what to do

However, you may need to register under the new system if:

  • You received a letter telling you that you needed to re-register, or
  • You have changed address since you received a confirmation that you were registered, or
  • You did not receive a letter

This page was last updated on 26 June 2014

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2015.