Immediate emergency assistance
This is short term support for people who are in a crisis, emergency or major disaster situation and who are unable to meet the basic needs of themselves or their family and who:
- are over 16 years old
- have provided proof of identity
- have a local connection
- don't have access to sufficient income or savings or receive a qualifying means tested benefit
What type of help is available?
The scheme will provide essential items; cash payments will not be made. Help available may include:
- referral for baby food or a food parcel
- essential furniture items, for example a bed, fridge or cooker
- travel costs to attend a job interview or workplace
- help with emergency supply of gas or electric where there is no heating in the household
- referral to another service, agency or fund
Assistance may include conditions such as loan repayments or debt advice. Referral routes to affordable loans and recycled furniture schemes are also being developed.
This page was last updated on 2 April 2013