Salford City Council is a great place to be and, with the range of benefits available to you as an employee, Salford City Council it is also a great place to work.
To provide you with a taster of some of the benefits we offer our employees, we have divided them to into the following three categories:
- Flexi-time: our full time working week is 36 hours and if the post is eligible for flexible working you can work these hours between 7.00am and 7.00pm subject to business needs from Monday to Friday.
- Annual leave: up to 33 days annual leave plus bank holidays. Employees can also (subject to managerial approval) carry forward five days to the following annual leave year or bank up to five days annual leave for a special occasion.
- Study leave: employees are encouraged to undertake education, training and development. Where there are clear benefits to both the council and the individual, directors can grant leave as appropriate for the purposes of preparing and taking examinations and/or assessments.
- Green Wheels Travel Plan: we encourage staff to play their part in tackling climate change and promoting sustainability. As part of this, we have a number of schemes to support you in making sustainable travel choices.
- Car club: the Salford car club provides a pool of cars for staff to use to for business travel which means that staff do not have bring their car to work if they would prefer to use public transport, cycle, car share or walk.
- Green car scheme: the green car scheme enables you to have a new, low-emission car which will be fully maintained, taxed and insured by the scheme provider - Tusker.
- Cycle to work scheme: we want to encourage members of staff to lead healthier lifestyles as well as support sustainable forms of transport. The scheme is tax free - monthly payments for your new bike will come out of your salary before deductions, so ultimately you'll make a saving on tax and national insurance contributions.
- Home electronics solutions: the salary sacrifice scheme, in partnership with Currys PC World, is designed to provide all permanent staff with access to a range of leading manufacturers' electronic products for the home.
- Leave plus: as part of our commitment to helping our employees achieve a healthy work life balance we offer the opportunity to buy additional leave.
- Pension: Career Average Re-valued Earnings (CARE) Scheme.
- Leisure facilities: for only £25.00 per month (pre salary adjustments) you can have unlimited Salford Community Leisure gym membership.
- Physiotherapy service: provided by Salford Royal Foundation Trust for employees with musculoskeletal conditions.
- Counselling service: the employee counselling service provides confidential access to an independent counsellor via a free phone number.
- Occupational health service: available to all staff by referral.
- Hospital appointments: paid time off, up to two hours.
- Eye care scheme: employees who need glasses for VDU use will receive a financial contribution towards the cost of the glasses and an eye test.
- The Disability Leave Scheme (DLS): provides a disabled employee whose condition has deteriorated with a period of time to adjust to the change in personal and professional circumstances.
- Salford City Council as an exemplar employer supports flexible working. We encourage all employees to have a healthy work/life balance. Flexible working can deliver benefits to employers and employees alike. Employees are able to balance the competing commitments of work and home life, while flexible shift patterns can support the needs of the business and make for a more diverse workforce.
Flexible working incorporates career breaks, job share and flexitime arrangements and gives employees the flexibility to pursue other interests and commitments outside of work and supports the vision for effective health and wellbeing support in the workplace.
- Maternity leave: you are entitled to 52 weeks maternity leave, the amount of maternity pay you receive is dependent upon your individual circumstances.
- Shared Parental Leave: this provides an opportunity for parents to take advantage of additional flexibility in the way they choose to care for a new arrival to the family.
- Adoption leave policy: our employees can take up to 52 weeks off as adoption leave; the amount of maternity pay you receive is dependent upon your individual circumstances.
- Paternity leave: employees can take two weeks paternity leave.
- Childcare vouchers: we support the Computershare childcare voucher scheme that offers a flexible way to pay for a wide range of childcare benefits at reduced costs which both parents are entitled to?
- Carers leave: you may be granted up to five days paid carers leave in a 12 month period at your manager's discretion.
- Compassionate leave: employees may be granted up to three days paid compassionate leave in a 12 month period at their manager's discretion.
- Parental leave: this is statutory unpaid leave to allow parents to spend more time with their children when they are young.
This page was last updated on 12 January 2016