Early Years Foundation Stage progress check at age two
The Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Framework (September 2012) requires that parents and carers must be supplied with a short written summary of their child's development in the four prime learning and development areas of the EYFS:
- Social and emotional development
- Physical development
- Communication and language (when the child is aged between 24-36 months).
What is the purpose of The Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Framework (September 2012) progress check at age two?
The progress check has been introduced to enable early identification of development needs so that additional support can be put into place.
What should the progress check cover?
This page is an exemplar that enables settings to undertake the progress check in partnership with parents. The purpose of the exemplar is to stimulate ideas for how practitioners might approach the progress check. It is essential that practitioners inform parents and engage them in this process.
Practitioners and parents must gather the information that they will need to undertake the progress check and this will inform the conversation that parents and practitioners will have as they complete the progress check together.
Examples of information that may be gathered:
- Photographs from setting and home
- Parental knowledge of the child
- Key person knowledge of the child
- Observations from home and the setting
- Information from other professionals who may be involved with the child
- Key events in a child's life, for example,birth of a sibling
There are a number of documents available to download:
- The completion guide - an outline of how to complete the two year old check
- Flow chart - a summary of the process
- Parents leaflet - information for parents
- Schema leaflet for parents - further information for parents
- Blank progress check - form to use during the assessment
If you require any further support or information please email the Starting Life Well service or contact us on 0161 909 6508 (option 2).
More information is also available online at the Foundation Years website.
- The completion guide (Adobe PDF format, 251kb)
- Flow chart (Adobe PDF format, 168kb)
- Parents leaflet (Adobe PDF format, 339kb)
- Schema (Adobe PDF format, 1.7mb)
- Blank progress check form (Adobe PDF format, 154kb)
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
This page was last updated on 25 March 2013