The fly tipping of controlled waste is a serious criminal offence which carries a fine of up to £50,000 (unlimited if indicted to the Crown Court). An offender can be sent to prison for up to five years.
It is important to realise that it is also an offence to permit fly tipping. Salford City Council treats this problem very seriously and will prosecute anyone caught fly tipping waste in the Salford area. Waste is often dumped from vehicles - and the owner can also be prosecuted if the vehicle (not the driver) is identified The police also have the powers to seize vehicles used for fly tipping.
If you discover fly tipped waste after the tippers have left, please follow these simple guidelines:
- Do not touch the waste: fly tipped waste can be dangerous - it may contain syringes, broken glass, asbestos, toxic chemicals or other hazardous substances.
- Visually inspect the waste: try to find out what the waste is and how much there is.
- Take note of its exact location: and whether it is in or near water.
- Do not disturb the site: there may be evidence that could help identify the culprits and lead to their prosecution.
- Contact Salford City Council by completing our online reporting form or phone us on 0161 909 6500
- If you see someone fly tipping: if possible, please make a note of:
- The day, date and time you saw the tipping take place.
- What you saw:
- How many people were fly tipping and what they looked like
- What they were actually doing
- Any vehicles involved - their make, colour and registration number
- Where were you when you saw the fly tipping:
- What kind of view you had
- How far away you were
- Weather and light conditions
- What was tipped:
- How much?
- What it looked like
Remember - don't put yourself at risk
Any fly tipped material will be investigated by an officer. Response and removal time will vary depending on the type of waste.
For example, asbestos or other hazardous waste will be removed within approximately 24 hours, whereas builders' rubble will be removed within approximately five working days.
Who to contact
- Environmental Services
- Turnpike Depot
631 Eccles New Road
Map to this location
- 0161 909 6500
This page was last updated on 23 October 2014