Health and safety
Health and safety in the workplace
The primary responsibility for ensuring health and safety in the workplace lies with those who create the risk, and in particular employers need to make suitable and sufficient arrangements for managing health and safety. Currently health and safety enforcement in the United Kingdom is split between local authorities and the Health and Safety Executive.
Officers within the environmental health team are responsible for enforcing the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 in approximately 4,000 premises for which the council has enforcement responsibilities. These premises include warehouses, offices, shops, consumer services and residential care homes. The range of activities undertaken by the officers are detailed in our service plan and include:
- Investigate accidents and seek to prevent recurrences
- Visit premises on a routine basis to offer advice on compliance with health and safety legislation. These are carried out on a priority based system. The frequency of our interventions are determined by factors such as the type and size of premises, the work activity and the health and safety compliance history of the premises
- Investigate and resolve complaints relating to workplace conditions
- Promote health and safety awareness to employers and employees by providing information, advice and participating in national campaigns
- Register and licence skin piercing and tattoo establishments
- Provide advice to workers. Employees who are experiencing health and safety problems at work or who have any concerns or queries may need to discuss their situation with someone outside their workplace. We can provide advice and/or deal with the query as a complaint
The service has also been subject to a rigorous audit as required by the Health and Safety Executive. This audit was to ensure we meet minimum service standards although we are always looking to improve.
For further information we welcome your suggestions, comments or compliments whether made in person, using a website feedback form, or by filling in one of our satisfaction surveys, available from any of our officers.
Health and safety in the home
The websites below provide general information relating to safety in the home:
Who to contact
- Environment and Community Safety
- Civic Centre
Map to this location
- 0161 925 1097
- 0161 920 8484
This page was last updated on 23 October 2014