Information and advice

Support from friends, family and communities can help you stay independent and well. Looking after your wellbeing can reduce your need for care and support services. 

What's going on locally?

Talking to friends and people in your community is an excellent way of finding out about groups and activities. Joining groups can stop you becoming lonely and improve your wellbeing. There are hundreds of opportunities to join in - search our service directory to find what's local to you.

The 'love bus'

Once a week, older people in Irlam and Cadishead take the number 100 bus to Warrington market. It gives them a chance to catch up, renew friendships and plan their busy social lives. They've named it the 'love bus'.

In Eccles, people are meeting up in Morrisons café, in Swinton at Age UK's Critchley café, where they're having a bite to eat while they catch up.

Wellbeing and health improvement

Way2Wellbeing has tools and guides to help you test your own wellbeing and look at ways of improving your wellbeing. Our Health Improvement Service can also advise and support you on a range of health issues.  

Use NHS Choices to find out more about staying well and about care and support.

Equipment and social care services

Disabled Living can you give expert, free, impartial advice about daily living equipment. You can even try out some of the equipment in their purpose-built showroom and ask for an occupational therapy assessment.

Before buying larger pieces of equipment, especially mobility scooters, we recommend that you get advice, either from Disabled Living or by contacting us.

If you are looking for personal care, home care (also called home helps or domiciliary care) or residential care, the Care Quality Commission lists all social and health care services and includes inspection reports on them. We have lists of the services that we know of in Salford:

Independent information, advice and advocacy

Salford CAB is independent from the council and can give you information and advice about the full range of care and support questions you may have. Salford CAB is backed up by a national information service and has the advice quality standard.
Telephone 0161 206 0274 or email

MIND in Salford can help if you need someone to act on your behalf, to make sure your voice is heard. MIND has the advice quality standard.
Telephone 0161 839 3030 or email

Salford Carers Centre can advise you and represent you if you are a carer.

Care and support can be expensive. If you are a home owner, or you have other assets, we recommend that you get independent financial advice.

This page was last updated on 11 May 2015

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.