Irlam Station Strategy
On 11 May 2011, Salford City Council adopted the Irlam Station Strategy. It envisions that 'Irlam Station will be a safer, accessible and better used station, attractive both to rail passengers and within the Liverpool Road corridor'.
The actions are to:
- improve parking facilities for cycles and cars
- create a ticket office
- bring the station house back into use
- undertake highways improvements
- undertake environmental improvements
- improve the station platforms
- improve access to station platforms
A copy of the strategy and the report of consultation can be downloaded below.
Delivering the vision
The strategy is being delivered by the Irlam Station Partnership Group which includes Salford City Council, the Friends of Irlam Station, Transport for Greater Manchester (TFGM), Northern Rail, Network Rail, British Transport Police, local councillors and Hamilton Davies Trust.
Over the last two years the partners have made some significant improvements to the station, including:
- Improved Station Road - resurfacing, junction improvement and creation of new pedestrian crossing
- New passenger waiting shelters (on both platforms), PA, CCTV, help points, information screens and ticket machine
- Improved embankments - cleared, tidied and re-planted embankments around the station and bridges throughout the area
Next year will see even more exciting developments at Irlam Station; Transport for Greater Manchester has secured funding to create a free 60 space car park and the Hamilton Davies Trust is supporting the full refurbishment of the station house. Both projects will be complete by the end of 2014.
On 14 November 2013, officers from Salford City Council, Transport for Greater Manchester and Hamilton Davis Trust gave a presentation to Irlam and Cadishead Community Committee to explain the proposals. The presentation is available to download below.
- Irlam Station Strategy adopted May 2011 (Adobe PDF format, 623kb)
- Irlam Station Strategy report of consultation (Adobe PDF format, 1.3mb)
- Station Road resurfacing works 2011 (Adobe PDF format, 733kb)
- Irlam Station update presentation (Adobe PDF format, 696kb)
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
Who to contact
- Salford City Council
Map to this location
- 0161 793 3646
This page was last updated on 5 December 2013