Living independently

Young man on a bus

This page is mainly for parent/carers of adults with a learning difficulty. It is about how we can help your relative to move away from home and become more independent.

Your relative will have a named coordinator from the learning difficulties team who will help all of your through the process.

Step one

Before your relative moves home, the coordinator will help them to assess what support they will need. You should also be involved in the assessment.

They will discuss with you and your relative a range of housing options such as general needs or specialist housing. Your relative's name will go to the moving on panel.

Step twoYoung man standing

After looking at things such as the type of housing, age/gender of other tenants and areas, a suitable property for your relative will be found. The coordinator will arrange for you and your relative to visit. This is a good opportunity for you and your relative to look around. If it is a supported tenancy, this could be a chance to meet other tenants and staff.

Step three

If your relative and you like the house and area and want to move in, then we need to make plans. The person centred plan is at the centre of the planning as it forms the basis of your relative's support plan.

Depending on the needs of your relative and the type of housing they are moving into, the timescale can vary. Tea visits and overnight stays are some of the elements in the planning if your relative is moving into a supported tenancy.

Meeting staff is an important part of the process and it is a good time to ask any questions, raise any concerns that you may have as a carer.

A change in where someone lives often means a change in the support they need to live their life. It is important that everyone is aware of any changes and why they are being made. Multi-disciplinary meetings are a good way for this information to be shared with everyone who is supporting your relative.

Step fourYoung couple with woman in wheelchair

When moving into a new home, your relative may need to apply for certain benefits for example a community care grant to buy soft furnishings, bed linen, cutlery and crockery. The welfare rights service will support your relative with this.

The coordinator will need to discuss finances with your relative and you. For example appointeeship, financial responsibilities and other benefit issues. If you have a mobility vehicle, they will need to discuss this too.

Step five

When you, your relative and the coordinator are happy that everything is ready, we will all agree a moving-in date.

Your involvement at this stage is really important and we will work hard with the provider to make the move as easy as possible.

After six weeks, we will review things, to make sure the move is working. If you have any questions or concerns, you can raise them at the review. You can, of course, talk to the coordinator or to staff at the house at any time. If your relative is not settled or there are problems, we will work hard to resolve them.

If they cannot be resolved, we will all meet to look at other options.


Your relative will probably have questions about their new home and so will you. These are some of the things you may want to ask the coordinator or provider.

  • Are all the staff police checked?
  • Will the person centred plan be followed?
  • Will all staff be aware of it and record any changes that need to be made?
  • How much contact will we have with the staff?
  • How much involvement will we have?
  • What should we do if my relative has a change in medication, has a hospital appointment or needs to go into hospital?
  • If we remain as the appointee, what are the arrangements for financial reporting?
  • What are the arrangements for emergency contact if we aren't available?
  • In case the move does not work out, will my relative's original package still be in place?
  • Will I have a copy of minutes of each official meeting that takes place?
  • Who do I contact if my relative or I have a complaint?
  • If appropriate would my relative be supported to have an individual budget?

If you have other questions, please let us know and we can add them to this list.

This page was last updated on 20 June 2011

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.