Do I need planning permission?

This depends on what you want to do. Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. The government has given a range of minor developments planning permission, so that you don't need to apply for extra permission for them. This is called permitted development.

You may also need planning permission to change the use of your property, for example from a shop to an office or conversion of a dwelling into flats.

General advice on whether or not you need permission is available from the Planning Portal.

If you want a formal decision as to whether planning permission is required you will need to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for which a fee is payable. Full details can be found on our submitting an application page.

Alternatively, if you do not require a formal determination by way of a Lawful Development Certificate, but would like a written opinion from Urban Vision as to whether planning permission or advertisement consent is required, you can submit one of the three forms below to Urban Vision. A fee of £40 (including VAT) made payable to Salford City Council must accompany such requests.

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

This page was last updated on 24 October 2011

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.