Strategic housing market assessment (SHMA)
The national planning policy framework (paragraph 159) states that local planning authorities should have a clear undertanding of housing needs in their area, and as part of this should prepare a strategic housing market assessment. The government has published strategic housing market assessment practice guidance detailing how to produce a strategic housing market assessment.
The council published a SHMA in February 2012. The assessment is intended to provide an objective analysis of the varied housing market issues affecting the city, assessing the existing housing market, recent changes, and future needs. In doing so, it draws on information from a wide range of sources, including nationally collated statistics, projections and forecasts, local surveys and studies, development monitoring, and published research.
The scope and detail of this SHMA has been based on the SHMA guidance. However, some additional sections have been included, such as on the future potential housing supply in the city and likely future market performance.
The Salford SHMA can be downloaded from this page.
Regional and sub-regional SHMA
Two other SHMAs covering Salford were published in 2008, namely the:
- North west SHMA, commissioned by 4NW and prepared by a consortium of Nevin Leather Associates, Manchester Geomatics, the University of Sheffield and Inner City Solutions (July 2008)
- Greater Manchester SHMA, commissioned by the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities and prepared by Deloitte MCS Ltd and GVA Grimley (December 2008)
An update to the Greater Manchester SHMA was published in May 2010.
These SHMAs set Salford within a broader context, and can be seen as complementary to the Salford SHMA. They can be downloaded below.
- Salford SHMA (Adobe PDF format, 6.4mb)
- North west SHMA chapter 1 to 3: summary and background (Adobe PDF format, 1.3mb)
- North west SHMA chapter 4: current housing market (Adobe PDF format, 4mb)
- North west SHMA chapter 5: the future housing market (Adobe PDF format, 566kb)
- North west SHMA chapter 6: the need for affordable and market housing (Adobe PDF format, 328kb)
- North west SHMA chapter 7: the requirements of specific groups (Adobe PDF format, 88kb)
- North west SHMA chapter 8: conclusions (Adobe PDF format, 72kb)
- North west SHMA appendix 1: housing market area data issues (Adobe PDF format, 34kb)
- North west SHMA appendix 2: Greater Manchester central profile (Adobe PDF format, 263kb)
- North west SHMA appendix 2. Greater Manchester north western profile (Adobe PDF format, 298kb)
- North west SHMA appendix 3: the affordability model (Adobe PDF format, 1.3mb)
- North west SHMA appendix 4a: housing market area data (Microsoft Excel format, 865kb)
- North west SHMA appendix 4b: local authority area data (Microsoft Excel format, 709kb)
- Greater Manchester SHMA (Adobe PDF format, 10.7mb)
- Greater Manchester SHMA May 2010 update (Adobe PDF format, 757kb)
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
Who to contact
- Spatial Planning
- Salford City Council
Map to this location
- 0161 793 3782
This page was last updated on 28 February 2013