On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918, the First World War ended.
Since then, 11 November (or Armistice Day) has been enshrined in the memories of the nation as a day to pause and remember those who have given their lives for the peace and freedom we enjoy today.
The Royal British Legion has always supported the traditional Remembrance Sunday services and the customary two minute silence on that day.
As the national custodian of remembrance, the Legion also believes that when 11 November falls on a day other than Sunday, remembrance should be brought into the everyday life of the nation on those days as well. The revival of support for observance of this demonstrates that, despite the passing of the years and the declining number of veterans, the nation still feels strongly about remembrance.
This year marks the start of the centenary of World War One. Salford City Council and our partners have a programme of activity, information and events to mark the centenary entitled Salford Remembers. Our World War One Remembrance website has more information.
Remembrance in Salford
Saturday 7 November 2015
- Agecroft Cemetery and Crematorium - A service will commence at 10.40am in the grounds of Agecroft Cemetery and Crematorium (postcode M27 8SS).
Sunday 8 November 2015
Parades and other services taking place:
- Salford Cenotaph - Assembly is 10.30am at Albion Place, The Crescent. Service commences at 10.45am. Please remember that the Crescent will be closed from 10.00am
- Swinton Cenotaph - Service commences at 10.50am at the Cenotaph next to the sunken gardens, Chorley Road
- Eccles - Assembly is 10.20am at Henley's Club (formerly Taylors/Barton Sports and Social Club), Barton Lane, Eccles. Service commences at 10.45am at Cenotaph on Church Street
- Walkden and Worsley - Assembly is 9.20am at the Royal British Legion HQ, Wilfred Road, Walkden. Service in St Paul's Church, Manchester Road at 10.00am followed by wreath laying at the Cenotaph in Parr Fold Park at 11.00am
- Irlam and Cadishead - Assembly is 10.20am at The Catholic Club, Liverpool Road, Irlam. Wreath laying is at the Cenotaph, Prince's Park, Irlam at 10.50am
- Little Hulton - Service and wreath laying at St Paul's Peel Church, Peel Lane, Little Hulton, at 10.15am.
Wednesday 11 November 2015
There will be an act of remembrance at 11.00am at the Cenotaph, Chorley Road, Swinton.
This page was last updated on 29 September 2015