Residential and nursing care

Moving into a residential or nursing home is a big move and not one to be taken lightly. If you cannot manage at home or in the community, even with support, then you may need to think about residential or nursing care.

Whether you are arranging residential or nursing care yourself, or we are helping you, these pages explain what to look for in a care home and what to think about before you move. There is also some information about paying for care homes.

A list of residential and nursing care homes in Salford is available at the bottom of this page.

A guide to paying for long term care is available at the bottom of our paying for residential and nursing care page.

What is the difference between residential and nursing care?

Both residential and nursing homes provide 24 hours a day, seven days a week care and support. Nursing homes also have a nurse on duty, if you have a long-term illness or disability that needs a lot of nursing care.

How do you know if you need residential or nursing care?

Most people in residential or nursing care homes need a great deal of support a lot of the time. You can contact residential homes directly and ask to visit them to see if a home is suitable for your needs. There are other options which can support you to remain living at home.

All homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission and will be regularly inspected. Before deciding on a home, you should get as much information as possible about it - you should read its inspection report and ask for any other information.

If you are not sure whether you can afford the fees or whether a care home is the best option for you, you should contact us and ask for an assessment of your needs.

Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulator of health and social care in England. It offers free, independent reports on the quality of care homes and care services to help you make an informed choice. You will also find advice about deciding what sort of care you might need. The CQC would like to hear your experience of social care.

If you are unhappy about any care service you use, you should talk to the manager of the service. Read our information sheet below about helping to keep your relative safe and happy in a care home. If you do not feel you can talk to the manager, or it has not helped, then you can contact our customer care team.

This page was last updated on 1 December 2015

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.