Salford Local Authority (LA)
There are 150 Local Authorities (LA) in England responsible for the strategic management of local authority education services including:
- Planning the supply of school places
- Making sure every child has access to a suitable school place, or has suitable provision made for them
- Supporting and challenging schools, in inverse proportion to their success, and intervening where a school is failing its pupils
- Allocating funding to schools
Local authorities also work with local partners, including other local authority services, the health service and police, to contribute to cross-cutting approaches which are critical to maximising the life chances of children and young people.
LAs are democratically accountable which gives them a distinctive leadership role in the local community to set a vision for education and to bring together partners to achieve change and improvement.
Salford LA resources
- School admissions and transfers - information for parents of children applying for either a nursery, primary or secondary place
- Teaching vacancies
- Reports and plans - produced by Salford LA
- School performance tables - published annually for key stages 2, 3 and 4, plus GCSEs
- Schools and colleges finder - an online guide to schools and colleges in Salford, with onward links to location maps and Ofsted reports
Central and local government share responsibility for the education service, and are committed to working together to provide the best possible education for children and young people. High standards for all can best be realised through an effective partnership between the Department for Education and local authorities in which we recognise and respect each other's unique contribution.
- Letter to schools - privacy notices (Microsoft Word format, 26kb)
- Salford privacy notice - primary pupils 2013 to 2014 (Microsoft Word format, 53kb)
- Salford privacy notice - secondary pupils 2013 to 2014 (Microsoft Word format, 55kb)
- Salford privacy notice - staff 2013 to 2014 (Microsoft Word format, 51kb)
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
This page was last updated on 22 December 2014