New governors induction training course
This one day training course (and also the modular programme that is split into two parts) are suitable as an induction for all recently appointed/elected governors or as a refresher course for long serving governors.
New governors induction - a one day training course.
Complete your induction training in one day.
The aim of this training day is to give governors more confidence in fulfilling their role by providing them with a 'job description' and raising awareness and understanding of education and governance issues. The day also offers an excellent opportunity to meet with other newly appointed governors from across the city and share experiences and ideas.
What will the course cover?
Through a variety of activities, presentations, discussions and handouts governors will learn about the overall purpose and responsibilities of the governing body and its three key roles. The course covers:
- The principles of good governance
- The roles and responsibilities of governing bodies
- The three main roles of governors
- How governing bodies work
- How the governing body should support and challenge the work of the school
- The governors role in school self evaluation and school improvement planning
- Governors' use of data
- The governing body's role in ensuring good financial management
- The governing body's role in performance management
- How Ofsted impacts on the role of the governing body and what to expect from a school inspection.
Who is this course for?
This full day session is a must for all recently appointed governors, including headteachers and staff governors. It can also serve as a refresher course for longer standing governors who have not attended training recently, to update their knowledge in the light of the many new initiatives and developments in education. Lunch will be provided and a programme for the day will be sent out to governors with booking confirmation.
For those governors who cannot attend a full day, the course is also offered in two separate sessions held over consecutive weeks covering the same content as the one day course.
You can apply in the following ways:
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by telephone on 0161 778 0265
- by completing the online booking form
Confirmation of booking
You will receive a confirmation of your booking approximately seven days before the course is due to take place. Please telephone us if you have not received anything within that time.
For further help, please telephone the governor services helpline on 0161 778 0265.
This page was last updated on 20 May 2014