School term dates
The local authority sets the school term dates for community and voluntary controlled schools, following the criteria listed below. The governing bodies of academies and voluntary aided schools set their own term dates but are encouraged to follow a similar pattern. Each school individually chooses when to hold their five teacher development days, during which time the school will also be closed to pupils.
For parents, this means each school's term dates will be slightly different and you should contact your school directly or visit your school's website to find out your school's exact term dates.
The local authority term dates
Following the consultation with all governing bodies, the local authority term dates and principles, outlined below, will now be mandatory for community and voluntary controlled schools; they are also recommended to the governing bodies of foundation and voluntary aided schools and academies:
- All terms to start on a Monday (or a Tuesday if so necessitated by a bank holiday)
- Autumn half term will always be the last full week in October
- Spring half term will always be the third full week in February
- The Easter break will always be the first two full weeks in April (regardless of where Easter itself actually falls)
- Easter will always be observed by school closures on the bank holidays for Good Friday and Easter Monday
- The Whitsun (summer) half term break will be one week
- Where a school is open for part of a week to pupils, this will be for a minimum of three school days (to encourage attendance)
- The five teacher development days, known as inset days are all to be designated by the individual schools governing bodies, but there will be no more than two days set consecutively for this purpose. This time could be designated as twilight sessions
The total number of days in the Salford scheme totals 190. This number of days is a statutory requirement.
All closures will be on the evening of the dates shown, openings will be on the mornings of the dates shown.
For academies, voluntary aided and foundation schools it is the school governing body which sets the schools term dates.
Please contact your school directly if you have any questions about term dates.
You can access information from the other Greater Manchester councils below.
Click the appropriate council from the map.
Please note: Salford City Council is not responsible for the content on external websites linked to from this service.
This page was last updated on 10 September 2015