Taxis and private hire
Salford City Council has now published its revised taxi licensing policy after undertaking extensive consultation with members of the public, business community and the hackney carriage/private hire taxi trade.
The main changes of the policy include:
- Removal of the previous restriction on the number of hackney carriage licences issued by the council
- Increasing the types of vehicle that may be licensed as a hackney carriage
- Introduction of new emission standards for all vehicles
- A requirement for drivers to undertake additional training to improve the standards of customer care offered to the public and enhance the knowledge, skills and professionalism of drivers
- A requirement for enhanced DBS checks for drivers
- Publication of the examination and testing requirements for taxi and private hire vehicles undertaken by the council's vehicle management services (VMS)
The policy can be downloaded below and printed copies of the policy are also available to be viewed at Turnpike House reception, Civic Centre reception and libraries throughout the city. Additionally, copies can be obtained by contacting the council's licensing team.
Did you know that you can make a request for service, make a complaint or report environmental issues through our report it facility?
You don't have to be a Salford resident to have a customer account but you must have an email address. Our Salford customer account pages provide further details and the chance to register for an account.
- Taxi licensing policy - private hire and hackney carriage vehicles, drivers and operators - (amended 1 November 2013) (Adobe PDF format, 679kb)
If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.
Who to contact
- Licensing Section
- Turnpike House
631 Eccles New Road
Map to this location
- 0161 925 1080
- 0161 793 2830
This page was last updated on 26 February 2014