Understanding child protection thresholds

Thresholds of need and response in Salford

The processes detailed in the document 'Thresholds of need and response in Salford' aim to provide effective working practices in safeguarding children in Salford. The referral form for Children's Services will lead to better and clearer information being collected; this will greatly assist the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) in their assessment tasks. The referral form can be downloaded from and sent in through the secure upload page.

The CAF forms will be uploaded through the secure upload page where once recieved a practice manager of a locality team will discuss any CAF forms with a manager from children's social care that may indicate a higher level of intervention is required. CAF co-ordinators will be on hand to help and support partner agencies to complete CAF forms, ensure the quality of CAFs are of a high standard and to assist in chairing some meetings.

The case transfer between teams and services has been designed to ensure children and families move up and down the continuum of care as seamlessly and safely as possible.

Finally, the single point of entry will ensure that every referral is seen by a duty manager at point of entry and a decision swiftly made. If we receive a referral that has the information requested then an initial assessment will be undertaken with the caveat that if it is identified to be at CAF level then it will be returned with a revised plan and the social worker will complete a handover returning the case back down to level 2a (single agency) or team around the child (TAC-2b). The social worker will follow the transfer protocol in place for transfer of cases down from children's social care to 2a or 2b.

For SSCB training on thresholds, please go to the SSCB training information. For all CAF and TAC training, please visit CAF and TAC training courses.

Please destroy all previous copies of the threshold document and materials (posters, Z-cards, mouse mats, etc) relating to the old threshold circulated before March 2011.

If you need to submit documentation, visit the secure upload page.

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

This page was last updated on 15 August 2014

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW   Telephone 0161 794 4711
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information

© Copyright Salford City Council 2014.