Travel and transport

Disabled drivers and passengers

Passengers, as well as car drivers, can have a blue badge depending on their disability. Blue badge holders can also apply for disabled parking bays (these cost £75) and dropped kerb (average cost is over £1000) outside their home.

With the Motability scheme you may be able to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair. The car may be adapted for your use. Other people can drive the car, as long as it is mainly for your benefit. 

Salford Disabled Motorists and Access Association campaigns, gives advice  and has a social group for disabled drivers or carers who drive.

Dial a wheelchair from the Redcross which provides short term loan of medical equipment, such as wheelchairs, for people with a disability or illness. The service helps people return to their own homes after illness or surgery, enables them to go on holiday with friends and family and promotes independence. Telephone 01925 229740.

Public transport

Transport for Greater Manchester (TFGM) is responsible for public transport. Disabled people (including people with mental health problems) and older people may be able to use reduced fare or free public transport. If you can not use public transport, then TFGM travel vouchers may be the solution. They can be used to help pay for taxis and other easy access transport.

Door to door transport

If you find it difficult to use normal public transport, there are some door-to-door services:

  • Ring and Ride buses are available to anyone who has difficulty using other public transport. Register before using the service by calling 0845 688 4933 and then book a day in advance, when you want to use a bus.
  • Local Link (telephone 0845 605 5505) offers flexible and accessible door to door public transport in parts of Salford.

Community Transport provides group travel for voluntary and community groups. Telephone 0845 077 2246.

Taxis and minicabs

Black cabs are wheelchair accessible, but if you have a large or motorised chair you should check that it will fit when booking. Some minicab companies have a range of vehicles so can send one that meets your needs, if they know what your needs are.

Many black cab and minicab drivers have had accessibility awareness training and dementia awareness training. If you have particular needs, let the company know when you book.

Trains and trams

Disabled people may be eligible for a Disabled Person's Railcard. If you do not have a railcard and are

  • Registered blind or visually impaired
  • A wheelchair user

you and a travelling companion may be able to get discounts. If your local station is not accessible, then the train company should pay for you to go to an accessible station.

Metrolink has produced an accessibility guide.

This page was last updated on 9 December 2015

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.