Salford young carers service
There are a large number of young people carrying out caring tasks within Salford and support is offered by Children's Services, Adult Social Care and the Salford young carers service.
The services work to the following agreed definition of a young carer:
A young carer is a child or young person under the age of 17 and under who carries out significant caring tasks and assumes a level of responsibility for another person which would normally be taken by an adult.
Salford young carers service also runs the young adult carers service for those aged 16 to 24 to ensure smooth transition into adulthood for long term carers.
Saford young carers service works with familes and other providers in the city to reduce the impact of caring on young people. If possible we will stop the young carer from having to care. However, if we cannot do this we will ensure that the caring does not disadvantage the young person in their social and emotional development or their ability to acheive.
Salford young carers service provides the following:
- awareness raising sessions for professional staff
- in-schools awareness raising sessions for all pupils
- consultation on individual cases
- full assessments on young people as young carers
- information bulletins
For young people and families:
- informal consultation and discussion on individual circumstances
- formal assessments for young carers
- referral/signposting to other services
For young carers and young adult carers:
- individually tailored support packages
- regular individual sessions
- support while attending school
- support in transition from school to college and from college to university
- opportunities to achieve
- opportunities to have breaks from the caring role
- opportunities to contribute and help develop the service
- receive regular newsletters
- support in accessing other support and financial help
- opportunities to have fun
Need to know more? Want to talk to someone? Contact us.
You can also find more up to date information for professionals and young carers and the Salford young carers' newsletters on the Salford Carers Centre.
Not sure? Are they, or are you a carer? Give us a call. It's always best if you check it out.
Who to contact
- Salford Young Carers Service
- Salford Carers Service
1 St. Philip's Place
Map to this location
- 0161 833 0217
This page was last updated on 10 April 2013