To ensure the safety of yourselves, guests and our staff we are required by law to ensure certain procedures and protections are in place during this time.
Please ensure you read and understand the following instructions to ensure your day runs as smoothly as possible.
- The couple to be married or forming a Civil Partnership will receive a phone call the week before the ceremony to confirm the details to be entered in the register/schedule.
- Contact details will be taken and the numbers in your party to comply with the government track and trace policy – If you or any member of your party become unwell after your ceremony, it is your duty to inform this office by ringing 0161 793 2500.
Arrival for your ceremony
- Only a maximum of 10 people, including brides/grooms/civil partners and their two witnesses, will be permitted into the ceremony. If you have a photographer, they will be included as one of your guests. We have no discretion on this matter so please don't ask registration staff to make exceptions or allowances. The number of guests should be kept to a minimum to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
- Children (including babies and toddlers) will count towards your allowance of guests. They must not roam the ceremony room and on government advice, small children are to be held at all times by an adult of the same household.
- Any prams, pushchairs or carry chairs will not be permitted into the building.
- Any additional guests that arrive will not be permitted entrance to the ceremony and will be asked to vacate the Town Hall grounds completely
- The entire party MUST arrive 10 minutes prior to the allocated ceremony time and wait outside until guided into ceremony room. Do not approach the doors. You will be escorted by a concierge at the time of you may enter the building.
- Late arrivals will not be permitted, and the ceremony will be rearranged at a new fee charged to the couple.
- After hand sanitising, the entire party will be guided immediately to ceremony room and to socially distanced seating:
- This includes brides/grooms/civil partners and all guests, there is no delay or separate entrance.
- Brides/grooms/civil partners will enter first followed by witnesses then other guests.
- Brides/grooms/civil partners can stand, however the rest of the wedding party will remain seated throughout the ceremony.
- The ceremony will be standardised and will not include readings, poetry or music.
- Face masks must be worn by all guests including witnesses. Bride/groom/civil partner are exempt, but if you choose to wear one, you will be asked to remove this during the spoken parts of the ceremony.
- The rings must be held by the bride/groom/civil partner – the best man/witness cannot hold the rings to hand over.
- There will be no handshaking/congratulatory exercises (including clapping/whistling/heckling) and the couple will not be invited to join hands.
- Your guests will be asked not to talk or raise their voices throughout the ceremony.
- The register will be signed one person at a time whilst standing and maintaining social distancing. Hand sanitisation will be required by all parties signing.
- There will be no certificate issued on the day. This will be posted first class the same or following working day. Extra certificates required can be ordered later either online or by telephone.
- The entire party will immediately be escorted out of the building once the ceremony has concluded and the register is signed.
- There will be no photograph with the register. One photograph will be allowed of the couple before exit of the ceremony room from where the photographer is seated.
- The use of the Town Hall gardens is permitted for photographs once you have vacated the building. You must not pose for photographs on the steps leading in and out of the Town Hall building.
- There is a visitor’s car park available, however this is only free of charge for up to 30 minutes Monday to Friday. It is free of charge all day on a Saturday.
- If you have a chauffeur driven car, you must wear a mask during your journey.
- The car can park through the barrier providing the driver remains with the vehicle.
- There will be no access to public toilets.
Keeping COVID-19 safe
- There may be other appointments outside the Town Hall building when you arrive, therefore please ensure you keep to social distancing measures as you manoeuvre around the grounds.
- If you or any of your wedding party are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 or have been in contact with any other person displaying symptoms of COVID-19, you MUST NOT attend and notify this office at your earliest convenience.