Re-registration of a birth

You will need to re-register your child’s birth if you have married the child’s natural father or wish to add the child’s father’s details or second female parent to a birth entry. If you want a new birth certificate you will need to pay a fee for this.

How to re-register a child

You will need to apply to re-register the birth of any child (children) by completing the relevant application forms, details below. The forms include guidance for completion and details of the relevant documentation required. Once you have fully completed your application form you should take or post your form(s) to the Register Office, including the supporting documents required.

Please do not book an appointment until you have received confirmation that your application has been successful.

Once your application(s) has been processed you will be contacted advising you to make an appointment. You can do this by booking online.

Book a re-registration of a birth appointment (unavailable due to coronavirus)

How to change or cancel an appointment

Details of how to change or cancel your appointment will be included in your confirmation email once you have booked an appointment.

What form is required

Scenario: mother and father have married after the birth

If the mother and father have married after the child (or children) was born, whether the father’s details were entered in the original birth entry or not, you must re-register the birth by completing the form ‘Application for re-registration following parents’ marriage’. This form is known as form LA1. A separate form is required for each child.

Only one parent needs to attend the re-registration appointment.

Scenario: mother and father are not married

If you want to add the natural father’s name on the birth record, you will need to complete the form ‘Application for the re-registration of a child’s birth’. This form is called a GRO185.

Both parents must attend the appointment.

If either parent cannot attend the appointment you also need to complete a form called ‘statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage’ and send this with your completed GRO185 form.

Scenario: Court order of Declaration of Parentage

A Declaration of Parentage is when the court decides who the father of a baby is. You don’t need to anything to change the birth record if there has been a Declaration of Parentage made by a court. The court will tell the General Register Office and the birth will be re-registered automatically. You will need to order a new birth certificate once you have received notification this has been completed.

Scenario: mother and second female parent have married/entered into a civil partnership after the birth.

If the mother has married or formed a civil partnership with the child’s second female parent, after the birth has been registered, the birth should be re-registered.

You will need to contact the General Register Office (GRO) to obtain the relevant forms. The completed forms and supporting documentation will then need to be sent to the GRO for approval. Once the application is authorised, the re-registration will be carried out at the Register Office. You need to make an appointment for this.

GRO contact details for re-registration

Telephone: 0300 123 1837

Scenario: changing the father’s name on the birth certificate

If the wrong father is named on the current birth certificate, you can ask for a correction. You can only apply to change who the father is if a DNA test proves (or a court order says) that the man named on the certificate isn’t the natural father.

You cannot use the re-registration process to change the father’s name, only after a formal correction has been completed can you then apply to re-register the child, showing the correct father’s details.

Please contact the Salford Register Office for further advice.


It is free to re-register a birth but you may wish to purchase a new certificate. This will be £11 if you buy a certificate at the time of your appointment.

Other ways to book

You can telephone 0161 793 2500 between the hours of 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday.

Rate this page