Money matters

If you are looking for information, advice or support regarding money matters you may find the following useful. Some of these are local organisations, others provide a national service.

Jobcentre Plus

If you would like to find out what benefit entitlements you have, or want to know what your benefits would be if you returned to work, Jobcentre Plus can help you. 

Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice Bureau helps people to resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice.

Child Trust Fund

The Child Trust Fund provides information on the types of child trust fund accounts available, including updated lists of who's offering which accounts.

Children born on or after 1 September 2002 are entitled to a child trust fund account. You don't need to make a claim to get the account started, the government will automatically send you a voucher.

The account can give your child a head start as a young adult. It will help your child understand personal finance and the importance of saving for their future. The account belongs to them and when they turn 18, the money is theirs to use as they think best.

StepChange Debt Charity

StepChange Debt Charity are a debt help charity. They offer advice and help on all debt-related problems including debt management, bankruptcy, arranging a debt relief order or an IVA.

The Money Charity

The Money Charity is a national money education charity, formed to help people better manage their money.

It offers a range of resources including debt advice guides and budget sheets, which can be downloaded from its website.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

Coping with the extra costs of a new baby can be difficult. There's a grant to help you give your baby a positive start in life. It's called the Sure Start Maternity Grant.

The grant is made from the Social Fund and you do not have to pay it back.

Who can get the grant?

You can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner are getting:

  • Income support
  • Income-based jobseeker's allowance
  • Pension credit
  • Child tax credit which includes an amount higher than the family element
  • Working tax credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award

How do I claim?

You can claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant on form SF100. The form comes with notes that will help you fill it in and tell you where to send it.

If you have a partner, either of you can fill in the claim form, but make sure you include the name of the baby's mother.

You can claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant at any time from the 29th week of your pregnancy until your child is three months old.

If you are adopting a baby, you must claim the grant within three months of the adoption and the baby should be no more than 12 months old when you claim.

If you or your partner have been granted a parental order for a surrogate birth, you must claim within three months of the date of the parental order.

Inland Revenue Tax Credit payments for families with children

Nine out of ten families with children are entitled to Inland Revenue Tax Credit Payments. You can be given Child Tax Credit in the form of payments from the government regardless of whether you are working or not.

Child Tax Credit is paid direct to the person who is mainly responsible for caring for the child or children. If you are a lone parent you will receive the payment.

Working Tax Credit is for people who are employed or self-employed (either on their own or in a partnership), who usually work 16 hours or more a week, who are paid for that work, and who expect to work for at least four weeks.

For more information, you can call the helpline on 0845 300 3900 (textphone 0845 300 3909).

South Children's Centre

Rate this page