Complaints, comments or compliments about children's social care

We need to know what you think about our services so that we can improve them. You may have a concern or a complaint about a service or you may have a comment or compliment to make. We want to hear from you whatever you have to say.

We want to hear from you if:

  • you are a child or young person who has a concern about a service we provide
  • you are worried about the welfare or safety of a child or young person
  • your child receives a service from us or one of our partners
  • your child receives a service that we've arranged for them
  • your child receives a service that we provide jointly with one of our partners
  • you are a representative or advocate and acting in the interests of a child or young person who receives a service from us or one of our partners
  • Children's Services have refused to provide or arrange a service for your child, which you believe your child is entitled to

How to contact us

You can contact us yourself or get someone to help you. If you need help there are a number of adult advocacy organisations who can help you. We will help provide you with information about the most appropriate organisation for your situation.

There are a number of children's advocacy organisations, if a child or young person needs help including The Children's Society and Barnardo's.


If you wish to make a complaint, comment or compliment on any of our services, you can do so online.

Make a complaint, comment or compliment

Find out more about making a complaint online.

In writing:

Customer First Service
Salford City Council
Children’s Services
Salford Civic Centre
3rd Floor Phase Two
Chorley Road
M27 5AW

Telephone: 0161 778 0143 / 0480

What happens next?

When you contact us we will acknowledge your contact by telephone, letter or email within three working days. We can arrange to speak or even meet with you if you would prefer, to listen to your problems or concerns. We will agree with you what action we propose to take to look into the issues in detail and identify an investigating officer from the most appropriate business area, who will then investigate your concerns in line with the most appropriate complaints procedure.

Children's Services will respond to your concerns in the way we agreed with you, within ten working days. If we are unable to meet this timescale, we will contact you to advise you of the delay. We will provide you with all the information you need about the issues you have raised and we will try to offer you a resolution.

Your feedback about our services is very important to us, as it gives Children's Services the opportunity to learn and improve. We will let you know what actions we propose to take as a result of our enquiries and findings into the issues you have raised. We will send you a customer feedback form, which we will enclose with the response to your complaint.

After we have looked in detail at your complaint, if you are unhappy with the response or the way we have dealt with the matter, we will advise you of the next step in our complaints procedure. Once you have exhausted our complaints procedure, we will advise you to contact The Local Government Ombudsman.

If you need help at any time during a Children's Services complaint investigation, you can contact our Customer First Service.

You may also call The Local Government Ombudsman advice team on 0300 061 0614 or 0845 602 1983. It is open between 8.30am and 5.00pm from Monday to Friday, except between 9.30am and 10.30am from Tuesday to Friday. Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calls to national geographic numbers starting 01 or 02 from both mobiles and landlines, and will be included as part of any inclusive call minutes or discount schemes in the same way as geographic calls. Please note that calls may be recorded for training and quality purposes.

Worried about a child

If you are worried about the welfare or safety of a child or young person, please visit our worried about a child page.


If you are a practitioner and you need to submit documentation securely, please continue to use our secure upload page.

If a child is in immediate danger of being harmed, or if a child is home alone, the police should be called on 999.

This page was last updated on 14 April 2016

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK