It is important that you have access to as much information as possible on money and benefits and depending on your child's needs, you may be entitled to financial support.

There are several benefits that you may be able to claim as the parent/carer of a child with additional needs or that you can claim yourself. Entitlement to some benefits is based on the needs of the child or young person, while others depend on your financial circumstances.

Childcare costs and benefits

Help and support is available with childcare costs for parents of disabled children.

There is also a lot of information about benefits and financial help available on the government's website.

If you or your child has a disability, financial support may be available from the state to help you manage. This is not paid automatically - so to avoid missing out, claim as soon as you think you might be eligible.

Help filling in forms

Get help filling in forms, and don't give up. The forms for some benefits can be complicated; advice is available at Salford's Gateway centres and Broughton Hub.

Keep a copy of any forms you complete for future reference, and keep notes of any telephone conversations you have.

Not happy with a decision?

If a decision goes against you, take note of the appeals process as there is usually a limited time scale within which you can appeal. Salford Citizens Advice Bureau provides help in challenging benefit decisions.

Salford's Welfare Rights and Debt Advice Service can offer you free, confidential and independent advice on your welfare benefits and can help you work out what benefits you are entitled to, assist with claim forms, and argue your case at an appeal if you disagree with a decision.

Further help and advice on benefits and financial support is available at The Money Advice Service.

Need equipment or suitable accommodation?

If you have a disabled child Salford's Occupational Therapist Service can advise you and sometimes provide equipment for your child, to help improve their quality of life.

If your child has more complex needs then occupational therapists may suggest moving to a more suitable home or adapting your own home, to make it more accessible.

All of the equipment is loaned and so there is no charge. Where we suggest adaptations to your home, we can advise you on any grants that you may be able to apply for, which will help to cover the cost of the work. This includes the Disabled Facilities Grant.

Disabled Living is a charity which also provides impartial information about equipment and services for disabled children and adults.

To make an appointment to visit, or for advice or further information on any of our services contact us on 0161 607 8200 or email

Useful organisations for advice and support about money, benefits, grants and equipment

  • Contact a Family is a national charity that exists to offer support, information and advice to the families of disabled children whatever their condition or disability.
  • The Family Fund are the largest independent grant-giving organisation helping low-income families caring for a disabled child.
  • Newlife Foundation provide emergency equipment and grants for seriously ill and disabled children.
  • Caudwell Children provide family support services, equipment, treatment and therapies for disabled children and their families across the UK.
  • Action for Children is a charity that can help disabled children and young people towards independence.
  • JSENSE is a registered charity to address the Special Educational Needs of children and young people across the breadth of Manchester's diverse Jewish Community.

Travel and transport

Blue badge

If your child is over two years old and has a disability which means that they cannot walk, you may be able to apply for a blue badge on their behalf. The blue badge can make taking your child out easier because some parking restrictions do not apply. The badge also allows you to park in disabled parking bays when your child is with you.

Bus or travel pass

If your child attends a special school and has a statement of special educational need, he/she is entitled to a free bus pass from Transport for Greater Manchester.

Students of any age permanently resident in Greater Manchester, with one of the following disabilities, may be also entitled to a Transport for Greater Manchester free travel pass:

  • registered blind with the local authority
  • profoundly deaf and without speech that cannot be readily understood by an untrained hearing person
  • without natural speech and unable to communicate orally
  • without the use of both arms
  • with learning difficulties
  • have been, or would be refused a driving licence on the grounds that they have a severe and enduring mental health problem

More information about free bus passes.

Disability Grants

The Disability Grants website is for people with a disability or parents or carers of a Disabled child or adult, to save time finding Disability Grants.

Charities and Trusts provide funding towards the high cost of disability equipment, holidays, housing, days out, in fact anything above and beyond the normal costs of everyday living.

The Salford Foundation Trust is a grant-giving charity that helps children and young people aged 5-25 years living in Salford (minimum of 3 years residence) to develop their hobbies, interests, skills and talents.