Education and learning

The transition meeting and plan you complete at school will help you decide what education, training or employment would suit you once you leave school.

Your options

There are lots of different options including:

  • Staying on at school (if your school has a sixth form) to complete A levels (depending on your ability), a vocational course or to develop skills for independent living or skills for working life.
  • Going to a college to complete A levels (depending on your ability), a vocational course or to develop skills for independent living or skills for working life.
  • Starting an apprenticeship - this is on the job learning where you get paid a small wage and learn a trade. 
  • Going on a traineeship. 
  • Going to another independent school or college (possibly residential).
  • Doing a supported internship - this is where you get to try different jobs, whilst learning basic skills such as maths and English. At the end of it you may be offered a job.

For more information about apprenticeships, work experience, traineeships and getting a job - please see Money and getting a job section.

Who can help me decide what to do?

As you get ready to leave, your school will help you look at the different options. Colleges might invite you to come for the day and see if you like it. Your school may organise some work experience to give you a taste of what it's like to work in different work environments.

If you're worried about moving on from school, it's good to talk to your teachers or head of year who can support you to get the right advice and guidance you need.

What support can I get?

Most colleges offer extra support for students with disabilities or additional needs. It's best to apply early to give the college time to arrange the extra support.

Most schools in Salford have a professionally qualified careers advisor, who can provide specialist support to help you search and apply for college courses or training. They can help you understand what is on offer and arrange visits to providers so that you feel prepared to start college/training after you leave school.

Most year 11 students will use the UCAS Progress websites which lists 1,000's of courses and training opportunities across Greater Manchester so young people can have access to all the information in one place. Students can also send applications through this website and support is given by schools.

The college centres in Salford offer extra support for students with disabilities and additional needs. It is best to apply early, which gives the college plenty of time to put any extra support in place that meets your needs.

Connexions is an impartial information, advice and guidance service which offers specialist support for young people aged 16 to 24 years old, who are not in education, employment or training. If you need help and support to work through your options and to send applications, please contact them on 0161 393 4500 or call into one of the Connexions Offices:

  • Salford Office - 77 Pendleton Way, Salford Precinct, Salford, M6 5FW

Connexions operate out of various community venues such as Gateway centres and youth clubs, please call the main office number for details on your nearest advisor.

Money for going to college

Depending on your personal circumstances, you may be entitled to help with the cost of college. Speak to your college about this to find out more information and see if you are eligible.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK