Support and advice

Support and advice

Here you can find the support and advice that is available to parents and young people with special educational needs and disabilities who live in Salford.

Your health visitorschool nurse or GP may be good places to start if you have concerns. It's really important you choose someone who you already feel comfortable with.

Have a look below for other places that you can go to for support

Early Support Team

If your child is aged three or under, Salford Portage Service may be able to help you. They're a home visiting educational and support service for families who live in Salford and have a child with developmental delay aged from birth up until they take up their three and four year old funding offer, usually the term after their third birthday. You can contact Salford Portage Service to ask for support by emailing You can also call 0161 778 0384.

The early support team is for families with disabled children under five years of age. It was developed by parents, carers and practitioners and is part of a national programme to ensure families are kept at the heart of decision making about their child. The aim of Early Support is to provide:

  • good information for parents
  • a multi-agency approach with families at the centre
  • designated key workers
  • training to support early years practitioners

If you have a child under five, you can email the early support team Or call 0161 778 0384.

Salford Information, Advice and Support Service (SIASS)

Salford Information, Advice and Support Service give information, advice and support to children, young people and parents about special educational needs and disability, including health and social care matters.

We can help to make sure that your views are heard, understood and respected. We are a free, confidential and impartial service offering a single point of consistent contact. We can explain how special educational needs are identified and assessed, who you should talk to, and inform you of your rights and responsibilities.

Contact SIASS in the office on 0161 778 0343/0349. You can text 0772 054 4560 or 0799 051 5296 or email

If you wish to make a referral to SIASS, either for yourself or for someone you know, please complete the SIASS referral form.

Short break care

Short break care services give families of disabled children a break from caring. These services include groups and activities where children and young people have the opportunity to have fun and meet other children in a safe and friendly environment. For children with more complex needs, we can provide services in the family home.

Support for children and young people from the Orthodox Jewish community

JSENSE is a registered charity set up to address the special educational needs of children and young people across the breadth of Manchester's diverse Jewish Community. You can contact JSENSE on 0161 850 3330.

Mediation and resolving disagreements

If you disagree with any of the decisions that have been made for your child, you can get support from independent organisations.

Independent Support

You may wish to receive help/advice from an Independent Supporter. An independent Supporter is an individual that works independently from the Local Authority to support children, young people (0 to 25) and their parents/carers to understand and fully participate in the Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) process. Should you wish to access support from an Independent Supporter, please contact Together Trust on 07557 801954 or email

Neighbouring councils

If you live on the border of Salford, or if your child goes to school in another area, you may be interested to know about support and activities that other local authorities can offer:

Other useful links

Search our service directory to find support groups across the city. For example, if your child is autistic you can look for autism support groups.

Find out about a range of support and information for disabled children and their families in Salford.

There are also lots of national charities and support groups who can help and advise you on many issues.

Parent or carer SEND feedback form: You might complete this at a ‘multi-agency meeting’.  We’re testing it in Eccles, Irlam and Cadishead from September 2017.

This page was last updated on 8 December 2017

Local Offer: For children and young people with SEN or disabilities