Payment difficulties

If you are having difficulties paying your bill please get in touch with us straight away. Don't wait for a reminder or other recovery document to be issued. 

Salford City Council has a discretionary support scheme which may be able to assist you if you are unable to pay your council tax. 

Spread your payments over 12 monthly instalments 

You can choose to spread your payments over 12 months instead of the usual ten. This will help to reduce the amount you're asked to pay each month. 

How to pay in 12 instalments 

Contact us online or use your Salford customer account to change your instalments.  

When will the new instalments take effect? 

Whenever you contact us we will, if we can, spread your payments over the remaining months available and issue you with revised payment details. We may not be able to spread your payments if the account has been subject to certain recovery action. 

It is important that you ensure your council tax payments reaches us before or on the due date to prevent recovery action being taken against you. 

Before you contact us 

List all the money you have coming in. Don't forget to include both yours and your partner's take home pay, benefits, income from people who live with you, and regular income such as works pension or maintenance. 

Then list where your money goes. Your rent and mortgage are the most important bills followed by fuel and water. Council tax payments take priority over debts such as credit cards, catalogues and loans. 

From this you will be able to see how much you can offer to pay and it will help us to come to an arrangement with you. We also prefer you to pay your council tax account by direct debit so please contact us to arrange this if you do not already pay by this method. 

Find out the different ways you can get debt advice.  

What happens if you don't pay

How to contact us 

Contact us online

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

This page was last updated on 25 February 2016

How to pay