Christmas Support Payments for wet-led pubs

This support payment is a one-off cash grant of £1,000 for wet led pubs that had to close due to local Tier 3 restrictions between Wednesday 2 and Tuesday 29 December 2020. Wet-led pubs are establishments that predominantly serve alcohol rather than food.

UPDATE: This scheme has now closed.


To qualify for this grant, your pub must be in Salford and:

  • derives less than 50% of sales from food (we may need to see your accounts to verify this)
  • permits drinks to be purchased at a bar
  • allows drinking without requiring food to be consumed
  • is open to the general public and allows free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
  • was trading on Monday 30 November (although actual premises were closed under government tier restrictions)
  • was liable for business rates for the premises before the restrictions started.

Businesses excluded from the fund

Your business is not eligible for this payment if it falls under any of the following:

  • restaurants, cafes, snack bars
  • nightclubs and casinos
  • hotels, guest houses and boarding houses
  • sporting venues
  • music venues, festival sites, concert halls
  • theatres, cinemas, museums and exhibition halls


  • has exceeded the permitted state aid threshold
  • is in administration, insolvent or has been struck off the Companies House register

Frequently asked questions

  • How will I receive this payment?

There is no need to apply again, as we will use your previous LRSG grant application details to process payment.

We do need you to confirm that you consider your business to be a wet-led pub and that you meet all the eligibility criteria.

Based on our local intelligence, we have sent out by email a self-declaration form to all businesses we consider to be eligible for this funding. You can use this form to tell us if any of your circumstances have changed including bank details.

If you have more than one business, you will need to make a separate self-declaration for each property.

The self-declaration form needs completing and returning to us no later than Sunday 28 February 2021.  

  • I am a wet-led pub and have not received a self-declaration form by email?

You may not have recently completed a covid related grant application or have not been identified on our register as being a wet-led pub.

Please get in touch with us immediately by calling 0161 793 2500 as you need to submit your details no later than Sunday 28 February 2021.

  • When will I receive payment?

We will provide qualifying businesses with the payment as soon as possible and this will be no later than Wednesday 31 March 2021.

More details on the Christmas Support Payments for wet-led pubs is available on the GOV.UK website.

Subsidy Control (formerly referred to as State Aid)

Any award under the COVID-19 Temporary Framework must comply with the previous ‘State Aid limits’ on the amount of grant or relief that can be awarded to your company. Before making an application for the business grant scheme, please read the Subsidy Control page. It is your company’s responsibility to check that it is eligible, and by the very submission of an application you are declaring that if awarded payment that you will not exceed the relevant State Aid permitted thresholds. You may need to supply further evidence to demonstrate this and declare you understand and comply with the respective conditions.

If you have any doubt as to your position you must seek appropriate advice before applying as the responsibility lies with the business.

Rate this page