Help to improve energy efficiency in the home

To help residents to stay warm and healthy we have launched the Warm Salford campaign to raise awareness of National, Regional and local schemes.

Green Homes Grant schemes

The Local Authority Green Homes Grant allows homeowners who earn less than £30,000 and whose home is energy rated E, F or G to apply for grants of up to £10,000 towards energy efficiency measures for their homes.

You can find the energy efficiency rating of your home EPC Register and entering your postcode and selecting your house from the list. 

The scheme is also open to residential landlords to apply for grants of up to £5,000.

The grant can be used for low carbon heating measures such as air source heat pumps as well as different types of insulation.

The scheme is delivered in partnership with E.ON which will source all installers to carry out the work. You can find more information and apply via the Green Homes Grant website or call the Green Homes Grant team at E.ON on 0333 202 4820 or email with your contact number.

The National Green Homes Grant Scheme

This scheme is open to homeowners or residential landlords.

They can apply for a Green Homes Grant voucher towards the cost of installing energy efficient home improvements.

The voucher will cover two thirds of the cost of eligible improvements, up to a maximum government contribution of £5,000 and installers must be sourced by the homeowner or landlord.

If someone in the household receives certain benefits, they may be eligible for a voucher covering 100% of the cost of the improvements up to a maximum of £10,000.

Landlords are not eligible for low income support.

Costs that are covered by the national scheme voucher include labour, materials and VAT and work cannot be completed by the applicant, a member of their household or member of their immediate family. It must be completed by a TrustMark registered installer who is also registered for the scheme. The installer will also need to meet PAS and MCS standards when installing your measures.

If eligible, the national scheme allows free energy efficient measures, such as:

  • External wall insulation
  • Air Source Heat Pumps (low carbon heating)
  • Door improvements
  • Smart heating controls
  • Cavity insulation
  • Loft insulation

E.ON Affordable Warmth Scheme (GRANTS)

What does the E.ON Affordable Warmth scheme include?

A new boiler from £240

If you’re eligible, our new boiler grant means you can replace your faulty or broken boiler for only £240. You’ll have the peace of mind that it's professionally and safely installed by our Gas Safe Registered engineers. Your council may be able to assist with the £240 cost subject to eligibility.

Free cavity wall insulation

As part of the scheme, we'll include free cavity wall insulation to help keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Also available to private rental tenants.

Free loft insulation

We'll also insulate your loft, if it isn't insulated already or if your current insulation is less than 100mm thick. This will help to reduce the heat escaping from your home. Also available to private rental tenants.

How does the Affordable Warmth Scheme work?

  1. Get started by checking whether you're eligible
  2. Fill out our short online form by clicking on the link below or call E.ON on 0345 300 4389
  3. Once they've checked your eligility for the new boiler grant, they'll arrange an installation date and find the right boiler for your home

Local Energy Advice Programme (LEAP)

LEAP is a completely free of charge service for owner-occupiers and tenants. The scheme can help you save money and keep your home warm and cosy.

The LEAP scheme can

  • Check if you are on the cheapest energy tariffs.
  • Install FREE simple energy saving measures.
  • Give you day-to-day energy efficiency hints and tips
  • Arrange a FREE telephone advice service to help with benefits, debt and other money problems.
  • Refer you for further energy efficiency improvements, such as loft insulation or a new boiler.

You may be eligible for the LEAP service if you are on one of the following:

  • Have a low income
  • Receive tax credits
  • Receive housing benefits
  • Receive an income or disability related benefit
  • Have a long term illness or disability

Call LEAP on 0800 060 7567 or apply online

Energy Company grants

Utility Company grants such as Energy Company Obligation (ECO) – these grants aims to improve your home's energy efficiency.

Greater Manchester councils are working with their energy provider partners to help residents improve their home with energy saving home improvements including loft and cavity wall or replacing broken boilers.

The offer is completely free. There’s no catch, you simply must meet the qualifying criteria. 

Extra help is available for vulnerable owner-occupiers through an ECO grant top-up if your ECO grant is not quite enough to pay for replacing your gas boiler.

Or if you have a private landlord and your ECO grant is insufficient to cover the cost of loft or cavity wall insulation.

Gas Safe Scheme

Gas safety checks are available for boilers, fires and cookers for vulnerable owner–occupiers who have a reasonable concern and are unable to fund a check by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer.

If necessary, repairs to the gas appliance maybe carried out up to a value of £500 by one of the qualified Gas Safe heating engineers working with us on this scheme.

For eligibility and to apply contact Helping Hands on 0161 793 9419

Should you require a Gas Safe Engineer telephone for free on 0800 408 5500 or visit the Gas Safe Register website, where you can also find further help and advice.

Please note: grants are only available from the council while funds permit.

Hardship Heating Grants

Council funded grants for vulnerable owner-occupiers who do not qualify for the energy company funded schemes. Contact Helping Hands on 0161 793 9419 and they will arrange a Gas Safety check and refer you on for the help you need.

Warm Homes discount scheme

Get a £140 rebate on your electricity bill if you're a pensioner or on benefits, you may be able to get money off your electricity bill this coming winter

If you're a pensioner and receive the guarantee element of pension credit you don't need to do anything. The government will have already told your energy company and you should get the £140 discount automatically.

If you think you should have received it but haven't, please contact your electricity supplier.

Each energy supplier that offers a discount has its own rules on who can claim, linked to income and benefits. Please check below to see if you qualify and how to apply. To find out more call the Warm Homes Discount scheme helpline on 0345 603 9439.

The suppliers listed below offer their customers a Warm Homes discount:

Salford Assist

Immediate emergency assistance, a resettlement grant or council tax support.

Call 0161 607 1626 or use freephone number 0800 694 3695 or see our Salford Assist page.

Rate this page