Make your home more energy efficient

Grants may be available to help you replace boilers or install better insulation to make your home more energy efficient.

The latest schemes are:

Warm Homes Fund

The Warm Homes Fund national grant scheme could help with replacing a faulty boiler, make a home weathertight and more energy efficient or simply provide curtains to keep warmth in.

Eligibility criteria apply - one of which is ‘financial hardship.’ With the rising cost of living this may include wage earners who are struggling to make ends meet. Please check with our health improvement service to see if you qualify; other help may be available if not.

To be eligible for help from the Warm Homes Fund your household must be both:

  • Owner-occupied, meaning you own the house or flat that you live in. The scheme is not open to people living in private rented accommodation or social housing
  • Claiming income-related benefits, such as Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit or Tax Credits, or be claiming free school meals, or otherwise experiencing financial hardship.

Your household must also meet one of the following conditions:

  • Include someone over the age of 65.
  • Include a child under five.
  • Include someone with a diagnosed respiratory (breathing) condition, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis or lung cancer.
  • Include someone with a diagnosed cardiovascular (heart) conditions, such as coronary heart disease, heart failure, stroke or high blood pressure (hypertension).
  • Someone at substantial risk of developing cardiovascular (heart) disease or respiratory (breathing) conditions.

Please email with your name, email and contact number or call 0800 952 1000 (option 2) between 9am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday to find out more about the scheme and see if you qualify.

Heating Hardship Grants

Council funded grants for vulnerable owner-occupiers who do not qualify for the energy company funded schemes. Contact Helping Hands on 0161 793 9419 and they will arrange a Gas Safety check and refer you on for the help you need.

Up to £500 help with gas repairs  

Gas safety checks are available for boilers, fires and cookers for vulnerable owner–occupiers who have a reasonable concern and are unable to fund a check by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer.

If necessary, repairs to the gas appliance maybe carried out up to a value of £500 by one of the qualified Gas Safe heating engineers working with us on this scheme.

For eligibility and to apply contact Helping Hands on 0161 793 9419

Should you require a Gas Safe Engineer telephone for free on 0800 408 5500 or visit the Gas Safe Register website, where you can also find further help and advice.

Please note: grants are only available from the council while funds permit.

Local Energy Advice Programme (LEAP)

LEAP is a completely free service for owner-occupiers and tenants. The scheme can help you save money and keep your home warm and cosy.

The LEAP scheme can:

  • Check if you are on the cheapest energy tariffs.
  • Install free simple energy saving measures.
  • Give you day-to-day energy efficiency hints and tips
  • Arrange free telephone advice to help with benefits, debt and other money problems.
  • Refer you for further energy efficiency improvements, such as loft insulation or a new boiler.

You may be eligible for the LEAP service if you are on one of the following:

  • Have a low income
  • Receive tax credits
  • Receive housing benefits
  • Receive an income or disability related benefit
  • Have a long term illness or disability

Call LEAP on 0800 060 7567 or apply online

Connected for Warmth

If you have no central heating or heat your home with electric room heaters, storage heaters or an open fire you may be able to get free central heating and energy efficient radiators.

Connected for Warmth is a is a council-backed scheme offering free air source heat pumps or gas central heating and mains connection if required to eligible homeowners and private tenants (with landlord’s permission and small contribution).

Warm homes discount

The government’s warm homes discount scheme automatically gives you a discount on your electricity bill. You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity and you’re eligible. Contact your supplier to find out.

If you think you should have received the discount but haven't, please contact your electricity supplier or call the Warm Homes Discount scheme helpline on 0345 603 9439.

Salford Assist

Immediate emergency assistance, a resettlement grant or council tax support.

Call 0161 607 1626 or use freephone number 0800 694 3695 or see our Salford Assist page.


This page was last updated on 15 November 2022

Rate this page