Organising an event in a park or open space

Salford City Council is keen to host a wide range of events, celebrations and activities in our parks and open spaces.

Advice to event organisers planning an event during the current heatwave.

If you are planning to hold an event in Salford, it is important that you inform us as soon as possible to ensure that:

  1. Your event does not clash with existing bookings and activities in the area
  2. Is safe and does not cause undue nuisance to others
  3. We have the opportunity to liaise with other departments and external agencies about your event

The use of our open spaces are generally free, however larger or commercial events may incur venue charges.

This page allows you to download an event application form and submit the critical event paperwork required with your application.

Please ensure you read the guidance notes and submit relevant paperwork in sufficient time.

Applying to operate a funfair at a Salford park, green or open space in 2018

Funfair operators may apply to use a park for a funfair. However, these funfairs should be linked to a national holiday, tradition celebration or community event or festival. Not all parks in Salford are suitable for funfairs these include Littleton Road Playing Fields, Victoria Park, Peel Park, Lightoaks Park, Chimney Pots Park, Roe Green and Worsley Green. For some applications we will need to consult with park users and Friends Groups before your application is approved.

On receipt of your application we will notify you of the site fee, safety inspection fees and refundable bond required. 

You will need to provide comprehensive safety paperwork, a child safeguarding policy and have public liability of £10 million.

Please complete the funfair application form (available to download from the bottom of the page) and email to at least eight weeks prior to your show dates.

How to get started

Complete the event application form that can be downloaded from the documents below. You can email the application or post it along with the relevant paperwork to the address below.

We should receive this application a minimum of eight weeks before your event date. Applications for events under 100 people may be fast tracked at our discretion.

Once provisional permission is given, you will have to submit the critical paper work four weeks before your event (hyperlinks to generic documents or JPG copies are not accepted), this must include:

  • Up to date Public Liability Insurance (minimum cover £5 million). Check your event insurance certificates are up to date and that the insurance cover is sufficient for your event
  • An operational plan
  • Site specific risk assessments
  • Site plan (JPG accepted)

We will inform you if any additional paperwork is required. Events that include activities such as dancing, musical performances and the sale of alcohol will require a license. This is a separate application process and the licensing team will be able to advise you further.

You may be requested to arrange a site visit with the land owners, safety officer, police and or fire service should your event require additional safety or crowd management measures.

Booking Greengate Square for a public event

If you are interested in the private hire of Greengate Square for your event, please email with a short description of your event, your full contact details plus dates and times required. Events must be free where possible and open to the public, non-political and non-demonstrative. Your organisation must have public liability insurance of a minimum of £5million in place. Applications must be made at least six weeks prior to the date of your event.

What happens next

Once we have all your completed paperwork and relevant payments, you will receive final written permission to hold your event. You may be required to sign an agreement or indemnity form with Salford City Council on behalf of your organisation.

Each event is assessed separately and your event may have unique exciting activities that show high risk, or are not easily categorised. An officer will be assigned to help you complete any paperwork, or set up meetings with other agencies, to assist you to plan and run a safe event.

Refusal to hold an event

If you are refused permission to host an event in Salford, we will notify you as soon as reasonably possible. Salford City Council has the right to refuse permission for any event in our parks, green and open spaces at our discretion including for the following reasons:

  • The deadline for event paperwork has been missed
  • The venue is not appropriate for the activities being planned
  • The dates clash with other events and activities at the venue
  • The event is not appropriate for the venue location, wild life, historical or cultural setting or unduly effects residents or other venue users
  • The safety officer, Salford Safety Advisory Group, Greater Manchester Police or Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service have concerns about safety, traffic and crowd control plans
  • Payments deadlines have been missed 
  • There is insufficient insurance cover for the event

Please note that the council has the right to refuse any event application.

More helpful information on how to run an event can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Who to contact

0161 793 2433 or 07971177018

This page was last updated on 5 July 2018