Salford’s COVID-19 vaccination programme, part of the biggest mass vaccination programme in the history of the NHS, is now underway.
Over the coming weeks and months residents of all ages will be offered the vaccine.
The first to be offered the vaccination will be residents aged 80 and above.
To ease pressure on the NHS at this busy time, and to ensure the process runs as smoothly as possible, please do not to call your GP practice. Rest assured you will be called directly when it is your turn to come for the vaccine.
This is how the appointment system will work:
- If you are registered with a GP in Salford, you will be called by a staff member from Salford City Council.
- If you live in Salford but are registered with a practice outside the borough you will be contacted by representatives from that local authority area.
- The caller will identify themselves and say they are calling on behalf of the NHS in Salford and they are getting in touch about booking an appointment for a COVID-19 vaccine.
- The caller will then offer dates and times for you to attend clinic. They will also give the location of the site where you will receive it. This will not be your usual surgery.
- All COVID-19 vaccines require two doses. It is vital, you return and keep your second appointment when invited.
- The callers booking vaccinations will not ask for any other personal details other than asking you to confirm your name. They certainly will not ask for any money. Sadly, we have already been alerted to possible phone scams with callers asking for payment for access to vaccinations.
- Once you have received the vaccination you must not drive for 15 minutes afterwards. You will need to remain in clinic until that time has elapsed.
It is important that you attend your vaccination appointment. But if for any reason you can’t, let us know as soon as possible so your slot can be offered to another resident.
The vaccine is safe and has gone through many months of testing before reaching this stage.
For more information on the coronavirus vaccine in Salford, visit the NHS website.