Support and advice for clinically extremely vulnerable people

If you have received a letter from the NHS advising that you fall into the ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’ category, you need to take additional measures to keep yourself safe while the national lockdown is in place.

You should:

  • Stay at home, except to attend medical appointments or to exercise outdoors
  • Work from home, if you cannot then don’t work for the period of lockdown (see below)
  • Only travel when absolutely necessary

If you are struggling to get essential food or medicine, or are unable to work, the Spirit of Salford Helpline is here to help you.

If you live with someone who is classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, you don’t need to isolate. To help keep them safe you should closely follow the national regulations and avoid close contact with people outside of your household.


You are strongly advised to work from home and if you cannot work from home, then you should not attend work. You may want to speak to your employer about taking on an alternative role or change your working patterns temporarily to enable you to work from home where possible.

If you cannot make alternative arrangements, your employer may be able to furlough you under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which has been extended until the end of April 2021. You should have a conversation with your employer about whether this is possible.

As you are being advised not to attend work, you may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA). The formal shielding letter you receive will act as evidence for your employer and the Department of Work and Pensions that you are advised to shield and may be eligible for SSP or ESA.

Members of the household who are not clinically extremely vulnerable should continue to attend work if they are unable to work from home.


You can go outside but try to keep all contact with others outside of your household to a minimum and avoid busy areas. Outdoors, you can only meet one person from another household.

You are advised to stay at home as much as possible.

You can remain in your support bubble, but you cannot meet with friends and family you do not live with unless they are part of your support bubble.


You are advised not to go to the shops. Use online shopping if you can, or ask others to collect and deliver shopping for you (friends and family, or NHS Volunteer Responders).

You can register to request access to priority supermarket deliveries, if you do not have someone you can rely on to go shopping for you. If you already have a priority delivery slot with a supermarket, that will continue – you do not need to do anything further. When registering you will be asked for your NHS number. You can find it on any letter the NHS has sent you, or on a prescription.

Registering on the site just gives you priority. It does not mean you’ll definitely get a delivery slot. If you want access to priority supermarket deliveries, you will also need to set up an account with at least one supermarket and book slots yourself.

If you need other forms of help, including support to register for a priority supermarket delivery slot, contact the Spirit of Salford Helpline.


You are strongly advised not to go to a pharmacy. In the first instance, you should ask if any friends, family or volunteers can collect medicines for you.

If friends and family are not able to collect your medicines for you, and you and/or the pharmacy are unable to arrange a volunteer, then you will be eligible for free medicines delivery. Please contact your pharmacy to inform them that you are clinically extremely vulnerable and need your medicines delivered, and they will arrange this free of charge.

Care and support

You can still receive informal care at home from people within your support bubble and from professional social care and medical professionals.

Rate this page