Support for clinically extremely vulnerable people

If you have received a letter from the NHS advising that you fall into the ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’ category, you need to take additional measures to keep yourself safe while the national measures are in place. This is not the same as the shielding measures put in place earlier this year.

You should:

  • Stay at home, except to attend medical appointments or to exercise outdoors
  • Work from home, if you cannot then don’t work for period of lockdown (see below)
  • Only travel when absolutely necessary

If you are struggling to get essential food or medicine, or are unable to work, the Spirit of Salford Helpline is here to help you.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable and can’t work from home, you are strongly advised not to go to work during the national lockdown. You may be eligible for statutory Sick Pay (SSP), Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit. The formal shielding notification you receive may act as evidence for your employer or the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) that you are advised to follow shielding guidance and should not work outside of your home for the period stated in the letter.

If you were on payroll before 30 October 2020, you may also be eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (on furlough), which is being extended until 2 December. Speak to your employer if you think you are eligible.

If you live with someone who is classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, you don’t need to isolate. To help keep them safe you should closely follow the national regulations and avoid close contact with people outside of your household.

Rate this page