Report a property that is empty and insecure

Empty properties can have a considerable impact on an area.

Once abandoned, properties can be subject to a downward spiral of vandalism, fire setting, drug use and other community related problems.

The ultimate responsibility for keeping a property secure lies with the property owner.

Should the owner fail to fulfil their responsibility in respect of providing and maintaining security then Salford City Council can intervene.

We will normally resolve the situation and secure the property by the implementation of either Section 29 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 or Section 41 of the Greater Manchester Act 1981.

Wherever possible we will first of all give the owner an opportunity to do the work themselves.

What to do if you have a problem

Contact Building Control

Who to contact

0161 779 6175

This page was last updated on 6 April 2016