Application for prior approval for changes of use

The government has introduced new legislation (statutory instrument 2013 number 1101 which came into force on 30 May 2013).

The legislation relates to existing permitted development rights to allow changes between newly created Use Classes from a number of existing Use Classes. This relates to the creation of state funded schools, going from Use Class B1 office to residential, and the change of use of agricultural buildings to a series of existing Use Classes.

The new procedure requires that applicants submit a basic level of information with their prior approval application to inform the prior approval process.

The council has created this simple form/checklist to assist applicants in that process. The council can ask for additional information to be submitted to allow us to assess a series of impacts defined in the new permitted development order. As applicant should prior approval not be required or if it is given by the local planning authority, you must comply with other limitations or conditions contained in the 1995 Town and Country (General Permitted Development) Order, as amended.

The obtaining of prior approval does not mean your proposal will benefit from being 'permitted development'. You are strongly advised to check compliance with the all the relevant permitted development 'rules'. Failure to do so may result in your proposal being unlawful and be subject to enforcement proceedings.

There are different forms for different types of development. It is important that you choose the correct form and fully complete all the sections that are relevant to you. Application forms are available online via the Planning Portal, but please check with us if you are not sure which form to use.

We have also developed a guidance document that explains how to complete the form, helps with interpretation of some of the requirements and which also acts as a checklist.

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Who to contact

Remember you can contact us quicker, easier, better online.

Contact us online

Urban Vision Partnership Ltd
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AS
Map to this location
0161 779 6195

This page was last updated on 16 March 2018

Rate this page