Do I need planning permission?

This depends on what you want to do. Some minor alterations, a conservatory or extension, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission.

The government has given a range of minor developments planning permission, so that you don't need to apply for extra permission for them. This is called 'permitted development'.

You may also need planning permission to change the use of your property, for example from a shop to an office or conversion of a dwelling into flats. In addition, the city council is intending to remove permitted development rights for the change of use of a typical dwellinghouse to a ‘small’ house in multiple occupation in some parts of the city. This will be done through an article 4 direction which it is intended will come into force on 25 November 2018.  

If you want a formal decision as to whether planning permission is required you will need to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for which a fee is payable. Full details can be found on our submitting an application page.

Alternatively, if you do not require a formal determination by way of a Lawful Development Certificate, but would like a written opinion from Urban Vision as to whether planning permission or advertisement consent is required, you can submit one of the three forms below to Urban Vision. A fee of £40 (including VAT) made payable to Salford City Council must accompany such requests.

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

This page was last updated on 24 November 2017

Planning advice