As one of the first public parks in the country, Peel Park is one of the nation’s earliest examples of an urban public park and was a trailblazer in its time.
It was opened on 22 August 1846, along with two other parks, Queens’ park in Harpurhey, Manchester and Phillips Park in Bradford. Linked with the establishment of one of the earliest public local museums in the country and the very first free public library in 1850, Peel Park formed a crucial part of the landmark social reform in the Victorian period. It was intrinsic to the development of the Crescent area of Salford and there is a lot of local pride in the park.
Working with the Friends of Peel Park Group Salford City Council secured Heritage Lottery Funding and other funding to restore the park and reintroduce some of its historic features along with other physical improvements. A masterplan has been drawn up in line with local consultation and historic research.
In addition to the capital works, a programme of activities and events to encourage a wider range of people to visit the park has been developed. The park will be a destination for both community events and large scale events.
A new park-based Ranger post has been created for five years, who will manage the programme of activities and learning as well as ensuring that park maintenance is carried out to a high standard. They will also work with and support the Friends Group as well as co-ordinate the volunteers.
This page was last updated on 13 April 2016