Housing benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Housing benefit provides help with your rent, Council Tax Reduction provides help with your council tax.

The easiest and quickest way to make a new claim for housing and Council Tax Reduction is to do it online.

Once you have made your claim, you can check information about your housing benefit and Council Tax Reduction claim including, entitlement details and housing benefit payments online through your Salford customer account.

If you have been affected by changes to housing benefit from April 2013 and are struggling to pay your rent, you may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) find out more. You need to submit your application as soon as possible so that we can consider your request.

Changes in your circumstances

If you are getting housing benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, you must tell the council straight away if your circumstances change so that you continue to receive the correct amount. If you receive too much benefit you will have to pay this back. You can use the enquiry form below to report any changes to your circumstances or telephone us on the number below.

The council does not deal with claims for other benefits such as Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance or Universal credit - these are dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions or your local Jobcentre Plus.

You can contact us in one of the following ways

You can contact us online or drop in to make an appointment to see one of our advisors at your local Gateway Centre or Broughton Hub. You can also bring any documents in support of your housing benefit or Council Tax Reduction claim to any of these centres.

Who to contact

Contact us online

Customer Services
Unity House
Chorley Road
M27 5AW
Map to this location
0161 909 6504

This page was last updated on 19 January 2016

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2016.